Part 7

"Thanks for this Antony." said Paul as the car moved down the Lennon's drive.

"It's no problem Mr McCartney." The man looked at Paul through his rear view mirror. "Is the car warm enough for you both sir?"

"Jane?" She shuffled, already nestled into his shoulder, his arm around her.  "You warm enough love?" 

"Yes thanks...I'm OK now." She smiled up at him then yawned. "Sorry!"

He kissed her in the forehead. "You rest. I'll wake you once we're back!"

Jane settled back into her snuggle and was soon asleep.

"How's you and the wife Antony?"

"Very well thank you Mr McCartney."

"I keep telling you to call me Paul you know."

The driver smiled.  "Congratulations on the baby Paul. When's it due?"

Paul smiled. "26th January. Not long now! I'll be glad when it's here! This pregnancy taking it's toll on poor Jane!" He looked down on to Jane's sleeping form, "At least she's asleep now though!"

"Jane." Paul called softly. "Jane love."

She stirred sleepily. 

"Jane." He shook her gently, "Jane we're home!"

She opened her eyes and yawned. Antony got out of the car and collected the overnight bag from the boot. He followed Paul and Jane up the steps of Cavendish Ave and handed the bag to Paul. Paul slipped him a £20 note to apologise for dragging him out so late. Thanking him, the McCartney's were left alone.

"Right," said Paul, pulling Jane into a hug, "You go up and get into bed. I'll bring us both a hot drink." He kissed her.

Jame nodded and set off upstairs to get back into bed. She shivered. The house was cold as they had intended to be away over night and Rose, their housekeeper, was with her own family for the Christmas period. She snuggled into the covers and yawned. She was tired.

"Here we are!"Paul came into the room carrying two mugs of hot chocolate. He handed one to Jane and sipped it as he got ready for bed.

Finally ready, he slipped in beside her. "How's your drink?"

"Lovely." She smiled up at him. "I am sorry about tonight Paul. I really showed you up in front of the others and...." She stopped as Paul gently took her cup from her and kissed her.

"Don't apologise Jane," He looked deep into her eyes. "I have been worried about you, you know. I knew something was bothering you. I'm just so sorry that my past behaviour has caused you so much stress now. I love you and when I made you my marriage vows I meant them."

She nodded.

"Will you believe me?"

"I'll ... I'll try but it's..." She stopped.

"It's what my love?"

"It's hard Paul. I love you but now, with the baby and everything, I'm scared. Uncertain. Not just about you and me ...just everything." A tear rolled down her cheek.

Paul pulled her into  a hug and held her."I'm here Jane. I'm always going to be here for you and our baby when he or she arrives. We're a family now!"  

Jane reached up and kissed him. "I love you Paul."

"And I love you. Always!"

They kissed again.

"Make love to me Paul," Jane asked him softly,"Make love to me and show me you still find me attractive."

""You and this bump are very sexy you know." said Paul kissing her again. His hand slid inside the pyjama top she was wearing and gently stroked her bump. "very sexy."

Jane lay in bed later, listening to Paul's breathing as he slept. She thought about their recent love making. Certainly the passion and enjoyment was still there between them. She sighed deeply and tried to relax. Although feeling happier, her worries about Paul and his ability to be faithful were still a major fear.

"Merry Christmas my love!" Paul hugged her. "Our first Christmas as husband and wife!"

"Merry Christmas to you too." She smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"I thought you and me could open our presents for each other together. Then do the rest with your parents later." He smiled, excited. "This is for you. Merry Christmas."

He handed Jane a small velvet covered box. She opened it slowly then looked up at Paul.

"Do you like it?" he whispered/

"Of course I do! It's just so....unexpected Paul!"

"It's an eternity ring Jane love." He took the box from her and took the ring from the box. "I know traditionally a husband gives a wife an eternity ring on their first anniversary or after the birth of the first child, I thought marking our first Christmas as husband and wife needed celebrating!" He took Jane's left hand and slipped off her engagement ring. "This goes next to your wedding band." He smiled at her, "Then your engagement ring goes back on, like this. Do you like it sweetheart?"

"It's stunning. Thank you." She inspected her hand, "It looks amazing!"

He laughed. "Good!" He kissed her softly, a kiss which she returned.

She moved away and reached for a narrow box from the shelf beside her. "This is for you Paul. Merry Christmas."

Smiling shyly, Paul took it from her and slid his finger under the paper to open it. Inside was a polished wooden box. Grinning at Jane, he opened it.

"Oh wow! Oh Jane thank you!" He hugged her enthusiastically before taking a neat gold identity bracelet from the box, "I've always wanted an ID bracelet!" Jane smiled as her examined it. She had had his name engraved on the top as expected but then had had a short message engraved on the back. "Will you fasten it for me love?"

Jane fastened the clasp for him and smiled as he moved his left hand from side to side to get a good view of his gift.

"Do you like it then?"

"I love it!" He kissed her, "And you!" He kissed her again, "Do you fancy going back to bed for a while. We're not due at your parents for several hours yet?" 

She returned his kisses and let him take her back to bed.