Part 44

"Dad! Dad!"

"In the kitchen Mary love!"

Twelve year old Mary clattered into the kitchen, dumping her school bag on a chair as she came in.

"Hello love. Good day?"

"Yes." Mary paused, "Dad, why didn't you tell me that you used to be famous too? I mean I know mum acts but you were brilliant it says in this book."

"What do you mean love?"

"Well, in school today someone brought this book in." she pulled a book from her bag. Paul recognised it instantly. He took it from her.

"Hunter Davies. The Beatles." He looked at Mary and smiled, "I remember when this book was being written. So what's the problem?"

"You never said you were famous dad. I mean The Beatles! They were amazing!" She looked at the man who she had always seen as 'dad' in a whole new light, "You wrote amazing songs! The girls at school say you were really good looking too! That's well weird!"

"It's all true but I gave it all up."

"Why?"

"For you and your mum love."

"Why?"

"When I was in The Beatles," said Paul, "even though I was going out with your mum, I messed her about. I saw other women. Then, after we got married, I'm ashamed to say I had an affair. Your mum wanted to divorce me."

"DAD! That's terrible!"

Paul nodded. "I know." He smiled at his daughter's shocked face. "The thing is Mary love, I begged your mum to take me back. I promised to never hurt her again and over a year, we slowly got back together."

"How old was I?"

"It was when you were between three and five really."

Mary studied Paul's face. "So did mum make you leave The Beatles?"

Paul chuckled and shook his head. "No, nothing like that. I left because I wanted to devote my time and energy to you and your mum. She'd given up so much when she married me, I needed to redress the balance."

"What do you mean?"

"Your mum gave up her acting career when you were born. I moaned if she wanted to work when you were little. I wasn't very supportive. Then, when we got back together, we swapped roles. Your mum worked sometimes and I looked after you."

"You didn't mind?"

"No. I loved it! I almost lost out on being your full time dad when your mum threatened to divorce me. I felt so lucky to look after you!"

"Then what happened?"

"Well, your mum and I decided to have another baby. We had your brothers a year apart when you were seven. Do you remember that? You weren't impressed they were boys I remember!" He laughed! "Your mum had sometime off with James and John then started working again. I became stay at home dad."

"Don't you miss the fame dad?"

"Not really. You lot are more important! No, your mum is the star in this house!" He glanced at the clock. "Where is your mum anyway?"

"I'm here," Jane came into the room  and kissed her husband, "Next time I decide to surprise the boys and pick them up from school, remind me what a nightmare pair they really are, PLEASE!"

"Why?" Paul began laughing, "What have they done now?"

"John decided his shoes hurt his feet so he took them off in the car. James thought it would be funny to throw them out of the car window on the way home so I've no idea where they are!" She looked at Paul, "Stop laughing and be an adult. He's got no school shoes for tomorrow and I'm NOT taking him shoe shopping after last time! You need to sort those two out Paul! They're becoming wild!"

"They're fine Jame love," said Paul, trying to straighten his face, "They remind me of me and our Mike when we were that age!"

"Exactly," said Jane grinning, "And look what a pair of fools you two turned out to be! Sort them!"

"Told you boys were a stupid idea dad! You should have had more daughters instead!" called Mary, walking away from the cloud of chaos that was her brothers coming thundering into the room. "Keep them away from me!"

The two dark haired boys, aged four and five and the spitting image of their father, greeted him gleefully. Jane watched as her husband began wrestling with both boys on the kitchen floor. Sighing, she realised that Paul was as mad as the boys were. Having no choice, she took a leaf from her daughter's book, and tiptoed from the room to enjoy the peace of the living room for as long as it reigned! Which, knowing her family, wouldn't be very long. 

She sat down and, mindful of her daughter's questions, thought about the choice she had made taking Paul back all those years ago. People had called her stupid. Her parents had refused to speak to her for a while. It had been hard... but she loved Paul. She smiled to herself, it had been a gamble but now?

She wouldn't swap any of her life for anything in the world!

                                          The End.