Part 13

"Ready for this then Jane love?" asked Paul. He had traveled to the hospital to collect Jane and Mary. However, the press knew today was to be the first appearance of mother and child and were keen to get pictures.

"Do I look alright Paul?" Jane looked anxious.

"You look beautiful Jane my love...you always do!"

She smiled doubtfully. As much as she knew that her shape wouldn't return immediately after giving birth, she was appalled by her still bloated flabby stomach! She pulled her loose fitting shirt over her trousers then slipped on her big winter coat. Being still very cold, she was glad that she  could hide inside it.

Baby Mary was dressed in a neat white bonnet with matching cardigan, mittens and bootees. They had been made by proud grandmother Margaret and she looked adorable! The midwife who had helped to deliver her was expertly swaddling her in a soft warm blanket. 

"Ready for this?" Paul asked.

Jane nodded.

The midwife carried the baby to the front steps. Paul waved to the fans and photographers  stood waiting. People called to Jane, wanting to see the baby. She spoke to Paul who nodded. He then took the baby from the midwife and, with Jane by his side, posed for pictures for a few moments. Finally, after one last wave, Jane climbed into the front passenger seat. Paul handed her baby Mary before getting into driving seat beside her.

Arriving home, the street was lined with more fans and press. Jane sighed.

"Sorry about all this love!" said Paul quietly, "We'll soon be inside from all this!"

The gates to the house swung open and Paul drove into the driveway. Photographers surged forward, desperate for pictures of the baby. Jane shielded Mary's face from the flashes until they were safely inside and the gates firmly shut behind them. Rose appeared on the back steps. She rushed out to Jane.

"Oh you're here at last!" She gave her a gentle hug, cautious of squashing the baby, "How are you?"

"I'm good thanks Rose."

"Good!" She smiled down at the baby, "Let's get this little one inside and out of the cold. I've made sure the house is clean, tidy and warm love."

Jane handed the baby to Paul, not wanting to risk slipping with her in her arms. She watched anxiously as Paul climbed to the top of the steps and into the safe warmth of the kitchen. She followed him in, Rose behind her.

"Right," said Rose, "I've already got the kettle on. You go through to the living room. The Moses Basket is all ready in there. "Would you like anything to eat Jane?"

Jane smiled but shook her head. "I've not long eaten thanks Rose but a cup of tea would be lovely!"

"Well you go and get settled and I'll bring you one through!"

Paul lead the way. "I think Rose is very excited, don't you?" He grinned.

"Just a bit!" Jane replied. "I just want to be able to relax, you me and Mary though Paul."

She sat down on the sofa and held her arms out for Mary.

"Come on then sweetheart, let's get you unwrapped." She gently slipped the bonnet and mittens from the little baby and then removed the thick blanket. 

"Will she be warm enough like that Jane?" Paul asked, a worried expression.

Jane nodded. "The midwife said in a warm room then the baby grow and a cardigan will be fine if we're holding her. She'll get some of body heat too!"

"OK." He sat on the sofa next to Jane and stroked the baby's head. "She's a red head like you Jane love."

"For now," said Jane, "But it might change as she grows!"

"I hope not! I like it!"

Rose appeared carrying a tea tray. She placed it on the table then hovered for a moment. "Do you need anything else Jane? Paul?" she asked hesitantly.

"Sit down Rose." said Paul laughing, "I know you can't wait to hold Mary."

"Are you sure? Jane?"

"Of course!"

Rose eagerly took the baby Paul offered to her. "Oh she's beautiful! Truly beautiful!" She gushed and fussed over the child and then suddenly stopped. "Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to take over like that! You must think me so rude!"

"It's OK Rose!" said Jane, accepting her daughter back, "You need to get to know her. You're a part of this family too!" 

Finally left alone, Paul watched Jane prepare for Mary's next feed. To his surprise, Jane didn't mind him being in the room as she breast fed the baby.

"Can you feel her sucking on you?" He asked curiously.

Jane nodded, maintaining eye contact with the baby. "Yes but it's a nice feeling!" She looked up and smiled at her husband. "Are you happy Paul?"

"I'm happier than I've ever been in my whole life Jane my love and it's all because of you!"

"Me? Why?"

"You've made me realise that I can be content with what I have here at home with you and Mary. I feel like I'm the luckiest man in the whole world!" He looked serious for a moment. "I made a promise to Mary, on that very first time I held her, that I will always be here to look after you and her." He looked at Jane, a sincere serious expression on his face.

"That's nice of you to say so. Long may you feel like that Paul!" She smiled at him.

"Oh I will sweetheart. I will."

Jane nodded, not sure how to reply but trying to hold onto the hope that Paul could keep the promises he had made.