Part 25

Jane waited with bated breath.

"Well?"

The doctor smiled as she read the test results. 

"Congratulations Mrs McCartney, you are pregnant!"

"Really?" Jane stared in disbelief, "You're sure?"

She nodded. "And based on what you have told me, I'd say you are approximately 9 weeks pregnant! You look very pleased!"

"I am....and so will Paul be! " She laughed, her excitement bubbling over, "Thank you so much!" She stood up to leave.

"We'll be in touch regarding your antenatal care Mrs McCartney, as we did with your daughter."

Jane nodded then after expressing her thanks once more, she left the room and headed home.

"NO!" Paul stared at her in astonishment.

She nodded."Yes. The doctor confirmed it this morning!"

"Whoo hoo!" Paul grabbed her and swung her around in delight.

Jane was laughing as he put her down and kissed her.

"So you're pleased then?"

"That's an understatement!" he exclaimed. "It's brilliant! Oh Jane...thank you!"

"We'll need to wait a few more weeks before we tell everybody though!" Jane warned him. "The doctor reckons I'm just over two months gone!"

Paul looked thoughtful. "That means we must have hit the jackpot around Valentines Day!" He grinned. "Can't I just tell Dad and Mike?"

"NO! Look, I'm going to wait before telling mum and dad! You can do this same!!"

"OK!" He grinned again. "I can't believe it! Another baby! Wonder what it'll be?"

Three weeks later.

"WHAT?" Margaret Asher stared at her daughter in shock.

Jane shifted uncomfortably. She'd expected a reaction like this from her mum. That's why she had decided to pop round and break the news on her own before she came later that same day with Paul. She didn't want her mum to put a downer on things with her reaction!

"Don't be like that mum!" She pleaded, "Be pleased for us when we come to tell you later! Please!"

"And what about you? Are you pleased?"

Jane nodded. "Mum, we planned this! We set out to have another baby. Mum, Paul is so different now. After what happened, he's a changed man and we're happy! Be happy mum! It's your new grandchild after all!"

"And you really are happy? And Paul is treat you properly? No more messing around?"

"Yes mum! YES!"

To break the news to Jim McCartney, Jane, Paul and Mary made the trip to the Wirral. Jim McCartney was thrilled with the news. The couple spent a week with him, allowing Paul to meet up  with his brother.  

Paul and Jane watched through the kitchen window. Jim McCartney was walking along with his two year old grand daughter, chatting away to her and showing her the things in the garden. Mary was watching him enthralled and talked to him.

"I remember dad being like this with me and our kid!" He told her wistfully. "I wish my mum could have seen this. She'd have loved seeing dad like this and she'd have adored Mary!"

Jane squeezed his hand. "She'll be watching over you Paul. She'll know what a success you've made of your life!"

"You think?" 

She nodded.

He pulled her into  a hug and kissed her. "Just think, you and me, we could be the grandma and grandad one day. Imagine that!"

Jane laughed."So you'll let your precious daughter have a boyfriend then?"

Paul grinned. "Never thought of that!" He laughed.  "Maybe not!"

Jane's pregnancy was very smooth and trouble free. Paul and John were still travelling back and forth between the States and the UK from time to time but they were short trips. Following doctors advice not to fly, Jane stayed at home quite happily whilst Paul was away. Their reunions were always special and Paul remained caring and loving as ever. 

When Jane was almost five months pregnant she received the exciting news that her elder sister Claire had given birth to her first child. Margaret Asher was delighted and was invited to stay with the new mum and her husband in Carlisle where they were living. Jane was upset. She so wanted to go to see her sister. After discussing the idea with Paul, both her and Mary were set to go with Margaret too.

Paul drove them to Margaret's house as she was going to drive. He took Mary into the house then returned with their luggage. 

"Jane." He called softly.

She looked up. Paul gestured to the hall. Smiling, she followed him.

"What's wrong?"

He put his arms around her and kissed her softly. "I wanted to say good bye to you properly." He told her.

"We've done that already!" Jane returned the kiss and grinned as she remembered their earlier love making. "I'll only be away for a few days love. I'll ring when we get there so you know we're safe."

Paul nodded."Thanks. And you look after yourself. You and Mary are my world. I want you home safely!"

"We'll be fine Paul love." She hugged him, "Stop worrying!"

"DADDEEEE!" 

Mary ran into the hallway, Margaret close behind.

Paul picked his daughter up and then hugged her and Jane together. "Hello Miss Mary! Are you ready to go?"

"Ganma car daddy!"

"I know. You're going for a ride in grandma's car! Won't that be fun?"

Mary squirmed to go down.

"Hang on!" Paul kissed her, "Daddy wants a kiss be fore you go!"

Mary planted a sloppy toddler kiss on his lips then escaped from his hold. Margaret took her hand to stop her running off. 

"Ready Jane?"

"Yes mum!" She turned back to Paul. "Look after yourself OK? Eat! Don't work too much!" 

He laughed and they hugged and kissed once more. Then Paul walked them to Margaret's car and helped load the luggage into the boot whilst Jane settled in with Mary. Then, with a final wave, they drove away.

Paul found he missed his wife and daughter terribly. The house was so quiet! Jane rang every evening and told him about what she and Mary had been up to and all about her new nephew. Jane sounded so happy and excited he noticed but she had also told him how much she was missing him too. 

A few days away was fine, he told himself. They'd be back soon.