Part 21

Jane scrambled to her feet and ran after Paul.

"Don't walk away from me!" she shouted, "PAUL!"

She heard the front door slam. She stopped dead and sat on the stairs sobbing. This was a nightmare! If he'd gone out in an angry mood there'd be no telling what he'd do next! 

"Jane?"

It was Rose. Jane hastily wiped her face and gave Rose a weak smile.

"Where's Mary?"

"In here." She gestured to the living room.

Jane stood up and came down the stairs. "How is she?"

"She's OK now." Rose looked sad, "It took me a while to settle her though. Oh Jane, I'm so sorry about you and Paul! I can't believe he's done this to you! He didn't bring that woman here, I can tell you that!"

"That's a blessing I suppose." She picked up her daughter and hugged her. "I'm sorry my sweet. I didn't mean to upset you!" She kissed her on the forehead.

Mary grizzled and struggled, holding her hands out to Rose. Jane sadly handed her over to Rose once more. Perhaps there had been some truth in what Paul had said. Maybe she had been away from her daughter too much lately. She sat down and hugged herself. Mary didn't want her. Paul had gone off because of how she'd been acting. The words 'frigid bitch!' went round and round in her head. The phone rang, causing her to jump violently. Rose answered.

"Jane. It's your mum."

Reluctantly Jane took the phone. "Hello mum." Her voice sounded weary.

Margaret immediately launched into a tirade of names against Paul.  Jane sighed deeply.

"Mum STOP! This is between Paul and I. Don't interfere." With that, she hung up.

Sighing, she walked to the kitchen to get herself a glass of water. It was then she saw him. Paul was sat on the stone bench in the back garden, his back to the house. Slipping on a jacket, she opened the door and walked tentatively towards him.

"Paul." She said his name timidly, "Paul love."

He turned and looked at her. He was calm now but he looked desperately sad. "Hi."

"Can I join you?"

He nodded and moved up to give her some space on the bench. She sat down next to him and gently took his hand and squeezed it. Paul looked up and gave her a weak smile. 

"I'm sorry Jane. In the bedroom before. I don't know why I got so rough with you. I'm sorry!"

She nodded. "It's OK."

"It's not though, is it?" Paul shook his head, "I've never wanted to hurt you physically. Are you OK?"

She nodded. "I'll live."

Silence hung between them for a few moments.

"What's happening to us Paul?" she asked softly, "Before I fell pregnant we were so happy. And now, it's like our lives have fallen apart!"

He shrugged. "I don't know Jane. I know I hate the way things are between us. And I hate myself for the way I behave towards you and with that woman." He slipped and arm around her shoulders, "I love you so much Jane but you seem so unhappy. I don't know what to do anymore."

She winced, the pressure of his arm making her already tender shoulders ache more. Paul noticed. 

"What is it? I'm not going to hit you or anything!"

"I didn't think you were going to Paul," she told him, "It's just my shoulders, they're a bit ....sore."

"I'm sorry."