Part 31

Mary was bathed, story read and fast asleep in bed by the time Margaret and Robert returned home.

"How's Jane?" Paul asked.

Robert eyed him. "Fine physically, not so good mentally!"

Paul nodded as Robert stalked out of the room.

"Margaret?"

She looked up from her cup of tea. 

"How is Jane? What did Rob mean?"

Margaret shrugged. "Like Robert said. Physically recovering but the full impact of loosing the baby, your affair and worrying about Mary is getting to her!"

"When will she be discharged?"

"Four more days."

"FOUR!"

She nodded. "Four. Now where's my granddaughter?"

"Fast asleep." said Paul, "But very unsettled. She's cried a lot and asked for her mum."

"Not surprising is it?" Margaret snapped, "The poor child doesn't know whether she's coming or going!"

"All the  more reason why I should take her home. To where all her stuff is. What's familiar."

"NO! Jane wants her here!"

"Margaret, I'm not going to do anything! I just want what's best for Mary." He put his hand on the tired woman's shoulder. "Please let me stay tonight. I can deal with Mary if she wakes up. You look exhausted Margaret."

"Fine!" Margaret stood up and left him alone once more.

It was just after 9 am that Paul arrived back at Cavendish Avenue. He waved briefly to the waiting fans then carried at tired, fractious toddler into the house. He went through to the kitchen and settled the grizzling child into her high chair. He made them both a drink and some toast which, after being thoroughly mashed into the tray of her high chair in a way only toddlers can do, Mary began to fall asleep. Seeing his chance, he took her upstairs and settled her into her own cot.

"Mary cot daddy." she mumbled sleepily as Paul put her down. Within seconds she was sound asleep. 

Paul sat on the floor by her cot for a while just watching her sleep and letting the full impact of his ridiculous behaviour sink in. Seeing his daughter in this state worried and saddened him. Then he had an idea.

After thanking the person on the other end of the line, he hung up. After checking Mary was still fast asleep, he had a quick shower and dressed in fresh clothes. 

"Daddee!!"

Mary appeared at the bedroom door.

"How did you get here?" Paul asked picking her up. 

He'd forgotten, he'd realised, that Mary was now able to climb out of her cot. Before all this mess they'd been discussing getting her a full sized bed. Grateful she hadn't wandered far, Paul took her back into her bedroom and found her fresh clothes and changed her. Following her sleep, Mary was in a cheerful mood, much more her usual self.

"Shall we go and see mummy?" he asked her. 

"Mummee!!" Mary clapped her hands in delight.

"Come on then. Shall we buy mummy some flowers too for Mary to give her?"

"Mummy like fowers daddy! Lellow fowers!"

"You want to  buy yellow flowers. No problem!"

Paul smiled to himself as he put his daughter in the front seat of the car. He put the seat belt around her to keep her sat still. He set off towards the hospital, stopping off at a local florist who watched in starstruck wonder as the one and only Paul McCartney wandered around her small back street shop letting his daughter  decided on 'Lellow fowers for mummy!"

Paul arrived at the hospital and, carrying Mary in his arms, he headed to where Jane was. There he was met by her doctor as he had arranged. 

"Right Mary," he said softly, "I want you to wait her for 1 minute. Mummy is asleep so I'm going to wake her up. OK."

Her bottom lip wobbled. "Want mummy."

"I'll be very quick then you can come to see mummy too." He kissed her on the cheek, "This nice doctor will look after you ...see."

Mary eyed the doctor for a few minutes then nodded solemnly to her daddy.

Paul nodded to the doctor, knocked gently on the door and went in. Jane was lying on her side, staring into space. She turned as the door open.

"What do you want?" she snapped, "I told you I don't want to see you!"

"I know Jane." Paul said quickly, "But I'm not here for me ...it's Mary."

"What's happened?" Jane was immediately alarmed. She sat up in bed. 

"NOTHING!" Paul held his arms out to her. "Mary's fine but I'm worried about her."

"Why? What's happened?"

Paul swiftly explained his concerns whilst Jane listened. "So," he said finally, "I have a proposition for you to consider."

"Go on?" Jane was wary.

"When you're discharged and feel ready, I'd like you to consider moving back to Cavendish Avenue so..."

Jane shook her head. "I'm not coming back to you  Paul. I meant it when I said we were over!"

Paul looked sad. "I know. I know but let me finish!"

"Amaze me."

"I want you and Mary to come back home. To what's familiar to Mary so she can resettle. It's your home too after all." He paused, "Rose is more than happy to move back in again so they'd always be someone there." 

"And you?"

He shrugged. "I could rent a flat nearby. That way I can still be around for Mary. To help you out with her or spend time with her." He looked at Jane and she turned away. "I'm not expecting an answer now Jane. Please, just think about it?."

"OK. I'll think about it!" she scowled at him. "Now go."

Paul turned a walked to the door. "There's just one more thing though Jane."

"WHAT?"

Paul opened the door.

"Mary."

The little let go of the doctors hand.

"Mummee!" She yelled and ran across the room to her. "Mummy hug!"

Paul watched as mother and daughter were reunited for the first time in over a week. Mary was beside herself with happiness and clung to her mother. Jane hugged her daughter, tears pouring down her face. She turned to Paul still stood by the door.

"Thank you." she mouthed to him. "Thank you so much."

He nodded then quietly left the room, leaving the two of them together.