about damn time » ricky rubio

for thesplashbrothers

"Kiss cam," Ricky mumbled, eyes trailing up to the jumbotron above both of them. "It's 2016. Do they seriously still do that?"

"Who the hell rained on your parade again?" Elle laughed, nudging him. "Kiss cams are cute! They either show how much of an asshole you are or how into you are to the other person!"

"They're overrated." Elle raised both her eyebrows to challenge him. She asked him why and he just shrugged in response. "If people wanted to kiss someone, I think they should do it themselves and not with the excuse of a camera that insists you on kissing someone."

"You're just salty because nobody wants to kiss you," she teased. Although, she was definitely lying when she said that. She's wanted to kiss Ricky for the longest time but just hasn't found the courage just yet.

Everything between her and Ricky is complicated. They've kissed once and it was probably about two weeks ago. Neither of them have had the courage to bring it up so they just went back to how it was.

They held hands sometimes without really knowing and it made his entire team was confused too because the only answer they'd get when they asked about their relationship status was 'it's complicated'.

And because things went back to what they considered normal, they were here at Game 5 of the WNBA Finals where the Lynx was up against the Sparks.

She slowly and subtly dropped herself to the side and leaned on Ricky, resting her head on his shoulder. Instinctively, he sunk in his seat so that she wouldn't strain her back.

"Unfortunately," Ricky sighed, making her laugh. She looked down promptly to dip a nacho chip into the sauce when she noticed that the crowd around them started to cheer.

When she looked up at the jumbotron, she finally realized why. She and Ricky were on the kiss cam. She hesitantly turned to Ricky who had his eyes stuck on the screen as well, refusing to believe that the cameramen dared to pull this kind of stunt on him.

"That's ironic," Elle mumbled, raising her eyebrows at the thought. He was just preaching on about how kiss cams were stupid and here they were now being demanded to kiss by a camera. Ricky finally brought his head down and stared blankly at Elle.

"Do you um.. d-do you, do you want to?" It was actually funny if you weren't either Elle or Ricky. For someone who acted like lovers, you would expect these two to be displaying their affection to the extent that it made everyone gag because it wasn't like they weren't into each other.

"Hey, just kiss her!"

"We're just friends!" Ricky yelled back, making Elle finally loosen up just a little bit and laugh.

"Like hell both of you are just friends!" He recognized that voice. He lifted his head and saw both Zach and Karl cheering him on. Literally everyone knew that he liked Elle.

"We don't have all day, man, you gotta do it!" Karl screamed with a smile. "You do it and you might just get the girl of your dreams! Or if you already have her, then here's your chance to show it to the world!"

"She might not-"

"Oh, shut up," Elle snapped, grabbing his face and crashing their lips together. The crowd around them erupted in cheers and hollers. They had been stalling the whole kissing thing for too long and it was so obvious that they were something while they denied every dating rumor on a day to day basis.

Elle pulled away and shrugged. "If you wanted to kiss me, you really should have just said so."

"Are you using my own words against me?" Ricky accused, making her shrug. He was just about to lean in for another kiss when she pulled away and turned back to the court as the second half commenced. He whirled her back and their faces were inches away from one another again. "You don't just do that. That's disrespectful."

"Kiss cams are overrated," Elle teased with a grin. "If someone wants to kiss someone, better do it without the excuse of a camera."

Ricky rolled his eyes and reconnected their lips for the second time that night. Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but sparks literally flew. Everyone else was too busy watching the game but Zach and Karl were too engrossed in their teammate exchanging saliva with a girl.

As Ricky pulled away, the two younger men threw a few of their popcorns at them. "About damn time!"

"The Lord heard my prayers!"

"That was without the excuse of a camera," Ricky shrugged, pouting his bottom lip out. "That good enough for ya?"

Elle looked away momentarily as if to think of an answer. But she knew that it wasn't because she definitely wanted something more. She shook her head confidently and kept her attention back on the game.

"What if I asked you to be my girlfriend?" She froze in her spot, heart pounding out of her chest and the screams in the arena muted out. Thinking she didn't hear him, Ricky repeated himself, "I said, 'will you be my girlfriend'?"

She turned her head back at him and smiled. "About damn time."

SUPER RICKY RUBIO FEELS AFTER WRITING THIS ELLE I HOPE YOU LIKED FUCKIN WITH MY FEELINGS LIKE THIS AND OH NO RICKY SPRAINED HIS CUTE LIL ELBOW I'M SHOOK