21

Louis's POV

Phoebe seemed to be taking her time walking to the car. I knew she didn't like cars, but not why. She carefully placed the gifts into the trunk and climbed to her side. I'm just realizing now how many bags she was really carrying. I should have helped her seeing it's my stuff. I climb into the drivers side and back out of the parking space.

"How about you teach me the back way to get to the complex?" I ask. I figure it's much safer.

"How about I drive?" She asks.

"Whatever, normal way it is." I say. I'm about to take the first turn when her hand pops up.

"On second thought, let's take the back way. Go straight through and turn up there." She says.

"Are you alright?" I ask and she nods.

"Why don't you like cars or anyone driving for that matter?" I ask.

"It's stupid. It's just a weird suspicion and fear of mine." She says.

"There has to be a reason." I say.

"There is..." She says.

"Well?" I ask and she shakes her head no.

"What if I guess?" I ask.

"No, Louis." She says.

"Alright...so did you have a good time today?" I change the topic.

"Yeah, I had a lot of fun." She says. Her voice is so plain I laugh.

"What?" She asks.

"You sound like you had fun." I point out.

"I'm just tired. I've been out all day and I'm ready to go home." She says.

"Harry came back today." I say.

"Cool. Maybe we can all go out together tomorrow night." She says.

"Are you alright?" I ask for the second time today.

"Tired." She repeats.

"Then sleep in the car for a bit. I can find my way back." I say.

"Thanks." She mumbles. She turns over in the seat and I see her close her eyes. I focus back on the road ahead. I turn the radio up and try to recognize some of the streets. I don't know any of them really, but I can find my way.

*

Lost. I'm completely lost and Phoebe is still passed out in the car. It's dark now and I'm starting to get tired myself. I pull over and take out my phone. It's dead. Of course it is. I see Phoebe's rested in her hand and reach for it. I need a GPS. I get it out carefully and she doesn't budge. I plug in the place's address. The phone goes off with Rebecca's picture popping up and I scurry to silence it.

"Where are we?" I hear Phoebe ask. I think the call woke her.

"Don't worry. I just got lost, but I have a GPS." I say and show her her phone.

"That's my phone. Who called?" She asks and sits up. Her hair is matted on one side and some strands stick up.

"Rebecca." I answer. She notices me look at her hair funny and softens it with her hand.

"Well, hand it over. We're about to run out of gas, too." She says and I give her the phone.

"Gas station?" I ask.

"Uh...I have no clue. You seriously got us lost." She says and laughs at me.

"Shut up, okay?" I say and she just shakes her head. She starts typing in her phone.

"Drive right up the road." She says and yawns right afterward.

"How can you be tired? You just slept for over an hour." I say.

"Just am. I'd still be sleeping if you didn't wake me." She says.

"Go back to sleep then." I say and she nods.

"Here's my phone. God knows you'll get lost again." She says and I chuckle. I find the gas station and fill up the gas tank. Phoebe remains passed out in the car. I run inside the gas station and buy myself a bag of chips. Phoebe rolls over in her seat and faces me, still asleep. I smile at the girl and then drive us home.

*

"Phoebe." I whisper and shake her arm. I already carried all of the bags up. I just needed to get her out of the car.

"Hey, Phoebe, wake up." I whisper. I unbuckle her seatbelt. She does look awfully peaceful. Maybe I can just try and carry her up. I reach under her legs and behind her back. Her head nearly smacks the door. I get it out of the way fast enough. I end up closing the door with my foot. It slams. The girl in my arms stirs, but doesn't wake.

"Shit you're a heavy sleeper." I think aloud. She moves slightly in my arms and I hold her tighter. Her hand finds it's way up. It grips onto my shirt. I find myself smiling at the girl in my arms. The steps become a problem. I almost topple twice, laughing quietly at myself as I saunter the rest of the way. The closed flat door also poses an issue. I end up kicking at it until Rebecca opens up.

"Did she pass out?" She asks worriedly.

"No. She's asleep." I whisper.

"Oh alright. Just put her in her room I guess. You remember which one?" She asks.

"Yeah, I got it." I say.

I get into the room and Rebecca walks in after me. She moves the bedding so I can place her down. I help Rebecca take Phoebe's boots off. I leave before Rebecca tucks her in. Once I do finally get to my place, I see Harry sprawled out on the couch.

"Move." I groan and he chuckles.

"Long day?" He asks.

"I'm never going to a mall again." I tell him.

"You look beat." He says.

"I am. I spent the whole afternoon shopping with Phoebe and I feel like I might pass out myself." I say.

"She passed out?" He asks.

"Yeah. First, I got lost on the way home while I let her sleep. Then, I had to carry like ten bags up here while she slept in the car. Then, I had to carry her up the stairs. And now I've realized that I have her phone. I'll be back." I say and leave my flat again. The door opens for me. The girls never lock it when their home.

"Phone." I say as Rebecca glances over.

"Thanks." She says and puts her arms up. I toss the phone over. She barely catches it. I leave and go back to Harry.

"So...you carried her to bed?" He asks and raises his eyebrow.

"Yeah." I respond blankly.

"How nice of you." He teases.

"Sure." I say. He grins at me and I have to admit, it's freaking me out.

"Harry, stop it!" I yell and he laughs.

"I'm going to bed." I groan and march to my room. I pass out quickly and I'm not bothered by Harry again.