Chapter 7: TomTato

"There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved." ~George Sand

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"Let's go on a date. I miss you," Jaden said in the middle of our phone call conversation.

I giggled. "We were just together yesterday."

Today is Saturday. We don't have much homework, so I have the whole day to myself.

"I know but I really, really miss you. I'll take you out, okay? I won't take a no for an answer. Get dressed and I'll be there in an hour," he said before ending the call. I chuckled before heading to my closet to pick out a dress.

I had a hard time picking out a dress because Jaden didn't tell me where we would be going. In the end, I settle for a cute pink simple dress just to be safe. I wore sandals without heels and placed my phone and other essentials in a small bag. I curled my hair a bit and applied minimal makeup to finish the look.

"You're all dolled up. Where are you going?" my Mom asked when she saw me coming down the stairs.

"Jaden asked me out on a date," I answered.

"Where is he taking you?"

I shrugged. "I don't know yet."

We heard a knock on the door. I quickly rushed and opened it. "Hey," Jaden greeted.

"Hi," I greeted back.

"You look beautiful," he said.

I smiled. "Thank you, baby."

My Mom cleared her throat. Jaden immediately faced my mom.

"No later than 10 pm," she said, and Jaden nodded as a response. I waved her goodbye before walking with Jaden to his car. He opened the door for me and helped me sit upright. He then walked to the driver's seat after closing the door.

"Before we go," I said, stopping him from starting the car. "Where are we going?"

He chuckled. "It's a surprise."

I pouted. "I wanna know if the dress I chose is right."

"Don't worry, babe. It's perfect. You're perfect."

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"You prepared this for me?" I asked when I saw a picnic mat and a basket beside the lake.

"Yep. You like it?"

"I do. Thank you," I answered before kissing him on the cheek. I laughed when I saw his face turn into a bright shade of crimson. "My little red cherry tomato," I said, cupping his cheeks.

"Lianna, stop," he said before looking away. His ears are all red too.

Every time I say or do something sweet for him, he turns really red and it's so cute.

"I have an idea," I said while we were sitting on the picnic mat.

"What?" he asked.

"From now on you're my Tomato," I said, moving my face closer to his. He turned red again. I chuckled before sitting properly and moving my face to a proper distance.

I took some food out of the basket and ate them. I looked at Jaden and he was doing the same, but his face still looked red.

"You're so cute, Tomato," I teased.

"Lianna!"

"Your face is still so red, Tomato."

"Stop, Potato," he said, and I gasped. "Wait, what was that? That's so-"

"Cute!" I chirped. "Call me that again, please," I said, pouting.

"Potato," he said, and I squealed. I poked him on the cheek making him turn red again.

"From now on you're my Tomato and I'm your Potato, okay?" I said.

"Okay, Potato," he answered, and I giggled before continuing to eat.

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"Where are you taking me?" I asked while looking at the window, trying to find landmarks that I know. It's currently 9pm. I asked Jaden to take me home after our picnic dinner, but he told me that he'll take me somewhere before bringing me home.

"Stop looking outside the window, babe. I haven't taken you here before." He chuckled.

I sighed and just turned the radio on. It's a good thing a catchy song played so I didn't get bored.

It wasn't a long drive. We arrived twenty minutes after we left the park. Jaden opened the door for me and held my hand until we reached a beautiful fountain.

It has purple and blue lights surrounding it and the light of the moon reflected on its beautiful crystal-like water. Bottles were floating everywhere but it did not become a hindrance to its admirable beauty.

"How come I've never seen this before?" I asked, looking at Jaden who was looking at the fountain as well.

"Not a lot of people in our town knew about this. Probably because the owner wanted it to be discovered by people on their own," he answered. "This fountain also opens only at 9 pm and closes by 4 am," he added.

"Why do they open this only at night?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. Well, some say that this fountain is magical, but it only gets its magic through the moonlight. They say that if you write a confession letter, put it in a bottle and throw it here. The fountain will work its magic and make the person you like yours forever," he explained.

I looked at him in shock. "You, of all people believe that? You laughed at me for believing in mermaids. What makes this different?" I pointed at the fountain.

"This one's real," he defended.

"I don't believe you." I crossed my arms.

"You want proof?" he asked, and I nodded as a response. He walked over to the fountain and looked at a few bottles before giving one to me.

"What will I do with this?" I asked, shaking the bottle.

"Open it," he answered.

I opened the bottle and took the paper out. I placed the bottle down and removed the ribbon that is tied to the letter. I read the letter inside.

Dear Lianna,
I wrote you this letter to tell you that I like you. I can't say it to you face to face because I was afraid that confessing my feelings to you might ruin our friendship. I'm still building up the courage to tell you in person but for now, I hope this fountain can work its magic.

Yours,
Jaden.

"When did you write this?" I asked after reading his letter.

"2 years ago," he answered.

"How did you find it out of hundreds of bottles here?"

"When I wrote the letter, I placed it in a bottle with your initials on it. Look," he said, and I quickly examined the bottle I placed down to my side.

I was speechless. No one has ever done this to me before. It was the sweetest gesture ever. I instantly wanted to cry. I don't know what I did to deserve him.

I hugged him tight and he did the same. I couldn't stop the tears that are falling from eyes.

"Hey, Lia. Don't cry," he pleaded.

"I love you, Jaden," I whispered, and he stiffened. I stood on my tippy toes and gave him a sweet kiss. He was still shocked after all that happened. "I love you so much, my Tomato," I said after pulling away.

He hugged me again and I buried my head on his chest. He kissed the top of my head before saying, "I love you too, Lianna. I love you, my Potato."