Chapter 18: Romeo and Juliet

"My only love sprung from my only hate." ~Juliet Capulet (William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet I, V, 147)

☔︎・☔︎・☔︎

"Hey, Lia!" Hope greeted me when she saw me getting some stuff from my locker.

"Hi, Hopie," I greeted back.

"Today's the day!" she chirped.

"Mmhmm..." I answered. Hope is referring to the stage play opening for the literature month. The play will be later in the evening, so we still have time to attend classes in the morning.

A week has passed since Gabriel visited me. We didn't talk about it since. No one has ever mentioned it. We just had a silent understanding that just even uttering a word about that event is prohibited.

"Aren't you excited?" she asked.

"Nope," I answered, shaking my head.

"Why?" she asked.

"I'm pretending I'm in love with the devil," I answered. "Should I be excited?" I sarcastically asked.

"That reminds me," she started, and I felt myself getting nervous. "How are the two of you? After you know..."

"What?" I asked, pretending not to know what she's talking about.

"You know..." She raised her eyebrows.

"The what?"

She sighed. "Your almost kiss!" Hope blurted out loud.

My eyes widened and I instantly covered her mouth. I looked around and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that no one heard what she said.

"Be quiet! You're the only person who knows that. I don't want others to think that I'm cheating on Jaden," I whispered. "And that was nothing, okay?"

"I have a weird feeling, Lia," she said, taking my hand off her mouth.

"And what's that?" I asked.

"I feel like Gabriel likes you," she whispered.

My eyebrows furrowed. "That's ridiculous," I answered.

"I'm not kidding, Lianna," she said with a straight face. "Can't you see how he looks at you?"

I shook my head. "Those are nothing. They're probably death glares."

"I just have this strong feeling, Lia. Gabriel visited you and when was his last visit?" she asked.

"Almost 10 years ago," I answered, getting nervous now.

"Exactly."

"He just became my frenemy so, it's natural for a person like him to visit a sick friend," I reasoned out.

"I swear, I think he likes you and you know my instincts are always correct." She smiled.

"Yes, but–"

I wasn't able to finish my sentence when we heard the school bell ring.

"Bye, girl!" Hope waved before walking to her class.

I sighed before closing my locker and proceeding to first period.

For the whole duration of the class, I can't help but think about everything that Hope told me. Indeed, Hope's instincts are always correct, but I feel like she'll be wrong with this one. There is no way that Gabriel is going to like me.

Then again, there is something wrong with Gabriel lately. He seemed different. It's weird.

I hate Hope's instincts! She always leaves me thinking about them!