Blasphemy

Tyler:

Josh never missed a practice. Every time I was in the basement practicing, Josh was sitting on the couch watching. David wasn't kidding when he told me he was our number one fan the first night we met. He wasn't quick enough to catch on to all the words, but he rocked out to the music pretty hard. He was the dream audience member. No matter how much we messed up or how off key I was, he always cheered.

Even now, as he, Nick, David and I sat on the couch waiting for our really late band member. He was in good spirits.

I, on the other hand, couldn't be as nice as Josh about the situation. This wasn't the first time Chris was super late for a practice without texting or calling to warn us. And even if he didn't show up at all, it wouldn't be the first time for that either. He didn't take any of this as seriously as Nick and I. Music was my life. If he wasn't respecting band practice then the was respecting the music. And if he wasn't  respecting the music then he wasn't respecting me or Nick. We didn't need a band member who didn't respect us.

"It's half past one." Nick told us after a quick glance at his watch.

And I knew that. I was counting each minute he didn't walk through that door.

"I'm sure he'll be here." Josh patted my friend's knee. "He might be stuck in traffic."

"He lives five blocks down." David laughed. "He could walk."

David was right. I squeezed the can of Redbull I was holding. The aluminum bent in with the force of my fingers. Josh's eyes darted towards me. Sensing the anger and frustration I was trying to hold off on showing. But he saw it. Josh saw everything.

"I'm sure-"

"I have work in thirty minutes." My words came out harsh. "I can't do this crap with Chris every time we-"

"We can just practice without him." Nick suggested.

"Practice without a drummer?" I rolled my eyes. "No. The music won't sound how it should."

"Josh plays drums." David reminded me. And yeah, I think I remembered Josh telling me that before. Maybe once or twice. "He's bound to know a few of the songs. He listens to them all the time."

Josh mouthed the words Your number one fan to me and I laughed. He always managed to make me laugh when I needed to most.

"That's right." Nick patted his shoulder appreciatively. "You can fill in for Chris today."

"I mean," He looked around at the three of us nervously. But he had nothing to feel nervous about. We were all his friends. "I guess I could try. But I won't be as good as Chris is. I'm self taught so-"

"Blasphemy!" I interrupted jokingly. "I bet you're perfect."

"No." He shook his head. "That would be you." You'd think I would be use to his ridiculous compliments by now.

"But you'll try." I plopped down on the sofa next to him. Closer than I'd meant to. Our thighs brushed up against each other. "Right?"

"I, uh." His eyes examined my face from forehead to chin. Finally they locked with mine. The two similar colors clashing gently. "Yeah. I can do that."

"You're a life saver!" I grabbed his face between my hands. Pushing his cheeks in slightly with my finger tips. "And not the candy. So much sweeter than that."