When I Grow Old

Joshua:

"I can't wait until we're famous." Tyler complained as he lifted the last bit of equipment into David's van. "Then we could pay people to do this for us."

We were on a mission to take it back to his parent's house. It's been sitting in this garage since our special practice last night. Everyone was entirely too exhausted to actually pack it up at the time. The owner of the garage promised us that it would be safe here. And it was.

It was my fourth practice playing as the official drummer of Twenty One Pilots since Chris quit. He'd never given a reason for abandoning his friends and his band. He just showed up late, per usual, to practice one day while I was filling in for him again. And he told Tyler and Nick that he didn't want to be in the band anymore.

Of corse we all thought he was throwing a tantrum, as Chris often did. I even raced outside to stop him when he left the room. And he told me "Congratulations, you did it. You took my spot." Which bothered me more than I could describe. I didn't want to take his spot. I didn't want him to quit. I didn't want to feel like the bad guy. But I was. And I did.

Tyler kept telling me it wasn't my fault. Trying to convince me that Chris was unhappy with being in the band with them for a while now. Even before I came along. But I wasn't convinced. Especially since Nick didn't join in on the consolation. He'd sat there silently. Watching us with something between concern and confusion.

"Hard work builds character." I slammed the back doors closed. "And muscle."

"I don't want character and muscles." Tyler slid into the driver's seat. "I want Taco Bell."

"Then let's eat some tacos." I closed the passenger's door just in time for Tyler to speed off around the corner.

Taco Bell was obviously having a busy day. As we pulled up, I noticed the ridiculous line of cars wrapping around the store at the drive-thru. So Tyler parked as close as he could to the front and we got out.

The inside situation was even worse than the outside. The line stopped just a few feet from the door. Tyler glanced at me, an obvious question in his eyes. Is it worth the wait?

"Josh!" I turned at the familiar sound of my name from an unfamiliar voice.

It was an older couple walking towards us from the front of the line. The man was holding two large Taco Bell bags. The woman was waving familiarly. Anxiety began building in my chest as she approached. She was obviously someone I'd met before. She knew my name. She knew my face. But I didn't remember her. She was going to think I was rude for not recognizing her. It was going to be awkward.

Tyler looked between the woman and I. I wanted to tell him I was just as confused as he was.

"Hi." I lifted a hand in greeting.

"Hey there." Her smile widened. She looked at who I assumed was her husband. "Honey, this is the nice man I told you about."

Me?

"Is it now?" He didn't seem impressed. I couldn't blame him.

"Yes!" His disinterest didn't hinder her spirit at all. "He convinced me to buy this skirt." She twirled to show it off.

Oh yeah! I remembered her now. The sweet lady from the day I quit. Though I only suggested the skirt so she'd leave me alone, it looked nice on her.

"You look great." I smiled now too.

"Thanks to you."

"You're giving me too much credit."

"Did he pick it out and everything?" Tyler finally weighed in. He eyed the skirt with an impressed smirk. "Good taste."

"You're silly." She laughed. "Are you boys just getting here?"

"Yeah."

"You're in for a hell of a wait." Her husband informed us."

"Yeah, but it's worth it." Tyler shrugged.

"We worked up an appetite moving our equipment." I explained. "And Taco Bell is our favorite place to eat."

"Equipment? What kind of equipment?"

"Margaret, don't be so nosey." The man complained.

"It's okay, sir." I said quickly. "It's just a bit of music equipment."

"You're musically inclined?"

"Yes, ma'am. I play the drums. Tyler here plays the piano."

"And the ukulele." He added.

"And he sings." I couldn't forget the most important thing.

"We're having a small get together at our house right now. It'll be wonderful to have some live music. Don't you think, Will? We can pay you!"

"I'm sure these young men have something better to do, don't ya?"

"Yeah, sorry. We're-"

"And you can get all the tacos you can eat." She interrupted whatever Tyler was about to say. "You won't have to wait in that line."

"Deal." Tyler held his hand out.

She shook it. "Great! Just follow us!"

So we did. We got in the van and shadowed them to their home. It was a neighborhood I'd never been in. They parked in front of a large, brick house. Tyler parked on the curb in front. Hesitantly, we both got out of the car.

"Come in this way."

"We have to get the equipment out of the van." Tyler reminded her.

"Will and the guys can handle that. Can't you, Willy?"

"Sure." He handed her the bags he was holding. "Tell the guys to come out."

"The girls and I will clear out the bedroom for the show!" She squealed in excitement.

I watched her walk into the house. Leaving us on the front lawn with the impassive Will. He looked to be about fifty. Maybe older. There was no way we were going to let him try to haul that heavy equipment. Five more men around the same age came walking out the front door.

"What are we moving?" The tallest one asked.

"Some stuff in their van." Will pointed.

"Open her up!" Another man called out.

"That's okay." Tyler must have thought the same thing I did. "We can handle it. You guys don't have to lift anything. It's really heavy."

"Are you saying me and my boys can't handle it?" Will challenged.

"No, sir. I was just-"

"Open the damn van." The tallest one rolled his eyes. "We got this."

Tyler and I watched in shocked awe as the men proceeded to carry the equipment into the house. While we stood on the lawn with metaphoric feet in our mouths.

"I hope I'm like that when I'm that old." Tyler whispered to me.

I nodded in agreement.