Chapter 22- Tugging At Heart Strings

Tanya's POV

The warm wind blew my bangs into my eyelashes. I'm almost home, the clearing is just behind the mall.

Depression is an understatement to what I am feeling.

I love Liam, my heart is telling me to stay with him, but my mind tells me otherwise.

My grandma told me stories of vampires. They were of course the underdogs compared to us. They were demon spawn and were evil, they tried taking over earth once. The great battle between King Drew and the vampire ruler, Kronos. As you can guess by now, Drew, our former alpha, was a royal blooded. Our pack killed the vampires who didn't retreat, and Drew battled Kronos. He beheaded him as well as a stake threw the heart. His cape still hangs in the entryway of the pack house to this day.

That's why I can't love Liam. I would be looked down upon by my family.

'He's our mate!' My wolf howled in pain of not being with Liam. As if I didn't know he was my mate.

'I know. But, it's forbidden.' I scorned her.

'No it's not! Stop your conspiracies! Legend Karma has a vampire mate!' She smiled happily.

'But, Liam is also her former mate.'

'It's possible! He's unmated, giving opportunity for the moon goddess to pair him with another!'

I rubbed my temples. I'm so confused.

The only thing I know for sure is that I love him.

"Where the hell have you been?!" Casey, my brother, had his canines out and his eyes were turning into a deep amber shade.

"Nowhere that's your concern." I walked right past him to get to the steps.

"Actually, it is my concern, I'm your guardian now." He had a grip on my wrist that was tightening by every second of silence.

"Maybe I don't need a guardian anymore." I tugged lightly at my wrist and he let go. I trudged up the cream colored carpeted steps and turned to the small bedroom on the right. If you don't know, I'm poor. I love at the very edge of the pack lines. Sure the nursing job pays well, but not enough to love luxury.

I tossed my dress aside and changed into some sweats. I sat at the window bed to look at the stars.

"Liam Payne, if I trust you as much I want to, you better not break my heart."

Liam's POV

"Was it something I said? Maybe I wasn't meant for second chances. I'll lose her forever and live without a soul mate forever!" I paced back and forth in the living room as everyone else stared, amused.

"I don't think you did anything wrong, lad." Louis bounced Kade on his hip.

"Yeah, Lili, if she can't see an amazing guy then it's her loss." Karma chirped. I smiled.

"Thanks." I then started hearing Cold Coffee by my good friend Ed Sheeran playing in my pocket. I picked up my phone and saw I number that obviously wasn't in my contacts.

"Hello?"

"L-liam?" A girl's voice asked from the other end. "It's Tanya." My eyes lit up and started walking to my room. "Listen, I wanted to apologize for yesterday night. I would really like to explain things to you over coffee?" I felt a warm sensation run through my veins.

"Absolutely. How about I meet you at the Starbucks in the mall?"

"Great!" I knew she was smiling at the other end.

**

"It's just that, I've grown up with all these stories about vampires." Tanya started.

"Ah, the old bedtime stories, aye?" I took a sip of my black coffee while she giggled.

"I was driven to believe them and I thought you were human since you don't have wolf scent. But when you told me you were a vampire, I kinda freaked." She rubbed the back of her neck. "I just really wish you'd give me a second chance."

I lightly held her right hand. "I would give you a million chances." I leaned in and pecked her quickly on the lips.

She smiled. "So what does this make us? Besides mates?" She smiled. My heart raced. I knew there was a connection! I've found my second chance at a mate!

"I think this makes us boyfriend and girlfriend."