THE FALL OF DEATH TRIAL

Training at the Crimson Blade had continued in the same vein as day one

Training at the Crimson Blade had continued in the same vein as day one. As the first week drew to an end, every member of the team had shown more enthusiasm. They excelled in the mundane as well as the more challenging tasks. Skill, stamina and ability had notably improved, much to Ylwen's delight.

It had been during the second week Ylwen realised whichever team Tiene was in always won: she was never on the losing side. The trainer made a mental note to inform Sauren, as he demanded reports on all his new students, paying particular attention to any that showed exceptional promise.

Her original indifference towards Tiene had now changed to something akin to liking the girl. The blonde could be feisty, but she was focused and not afraid to get her hands dirty. Although Ylwen had not known the Firefurys personally, from what she had heard, the daughter was a credit to them. She just hoped this was a trait that would continue.

Some other students, particularly those more advanced than the new-starts, had been inclined to goad Tiene, and sometimes the insults were also aimed at her teammates. It was not so much because she was new, but because of who she was and the preferential treatment Sauren had bestowed upon the girl.

Ylwen could understand in a way why he had chosen to do this, the name Firefury, after all, was revered among rogue communities. But still, she thought he might not have entirely thought through the reaction from fellow students. The little Firefury, nonetheless, seemed able to handle herself and she gave as good as she got. Ylwen knew that not everyone would warm to her, though, so, she decided to keep a close eye on events. She sensed some would take joy in any mishap which befell the Firefury girl.

The evidence of that came in the fourth week of training. The top-grade students helped trainers setting up an obstacle course within the courtyard for young trainees to test their agility and learn how to scale particular structures. It was one of the sessions most new starts dreaded, and was nick-named 'The Fall of Death Trial'. Large nets were placed at various stages of the test, providing safety should anyone fall. The height of the construct was indeed daunting to many. A keen sense of balance was necessary for this test, as well as agility, and was considered a crucial part of the students training.

Lexie watched the construction from the sidelines, with a degree of dread. She knew only too well how awful this test was. The Trial was where she had stumbled, her confidence and nerves having let her down twice already. She knew this would be her third and final attempt. Failure this time would mean expulsion. Her eyes drifted to the main tower. The man she so desperately wanted to please observed the construction works too.

From the walkway above, Sauren stood, leaning on the rail-guard, observing intently. Brett approached from his right.

"Are we almost ready?" he asked the burly rogue without looking at him.

"In about twenty minutes," Brett replied.

"Good. I'm looking forward to seeing how Tiene does in this."