Chapter 38: The Roof is The Worst Place to Be

sorry it took so long for an update... life has been unkind :/ I hope you enjoy. don't kill me for the sort of cliffy & please please comment & vote!! I love thios story & it doesnt get nearly enough comments, votes or props.

************************************

Recap chap 37:

"I'll be waiting patiently." His smooth voice whispered just before he released me. As quickly as his warmth filled my senses, it was snatched away. It left me cold, vulnerable and sorrowful.

I walked away from Julien feeling brokenhearted, and fully intending on never seeing him again, no matter what he'd proclaimed about us being together again. Little did I know that fate had one more devilish card up her sleeve, and that card would prove disastrous for us both.

**************************************************

Chapter 38: The Roof is The Worst Place to Be

The thing about just Julien was that once he had you under his spell, you were never going to get out from under it, no matter how hard you tried. That was how I felt as I unexpectedly ran into him while I was with Mark, about a month after I had left Julien.

In the last month, a lot had changed pretty drastically. Mark was released from jail and moved home with us as promised. We both started marriage counseling where we worked through the issues of my infidelity and his abuse. He started an anger management program and separate counseling as well.

I tried to forgive him, as I said I would, but a piece of me never fully trusted him after what he'd done. I could stand living with him, at least we were amicable. I loved him in a small way, but never the way I loved Julien and I could never forgive him or forget what he'd done.

By all appearances, we'd returned to being a happy couple. He still loved me and I forced myself to have sex with him. It wasn't what I wanted but I didn't want to piss him off by denying him. I did what had to be done to keep the peace between us. I was still, and would probably always be, a bit skeptical of Mark's behavior and that forced my compliance. He was kinder and more attentive than before, but I secretly wondered if it was just an act.

Greg came home after three weeks in the hospital. He seemed happier and more at ease with his father home. He started back to school and seemed to be handling his problems there much better. He was also in counseling to work through his depression and attempted suicide. For once, all was well in the Carmina house, until one night when Mark indicated that things weren't as happy as they seemed.

"Why would I admit to that? So you can put me back in jail." Mark said with a hint of venom in his voice.

"No, that's not what I want. I just want Greg to know the truth. He still hates me, barely speaks to me." I explained. I was hoping to appeal to the softer side of Mark that normally stayed hidden.

"You're the one who had an affair!" His raised voice startled me just a little, but for some reason, a switch was thrown and I went into fight mode.

"You're the one who beat me. You almost killed me and my baby!" I responded angrily.

"We're both at fault." He admitted and I must admit that I was surprised by his concession.

I expected him to snap to show some real anger or perhaps strike me, but he didn't. He just sat there silently, thinking for a few minutes. It made me incredibly nervous because I had no idea what was in his head. He could have been in agreement with me or he could have been plotting my death. I hoped for the former.

"Okay, I'll tell him the truth, but I need some time. Maybe I could... write it in a letter or something." Mark replied almost reluctantly.

I wondered if he was actually going to tell Greg the truth, or if he was just stalling. It can't be easy to confess to your child that you abused his mother. It's only logical that he didn't want to seem like an asshole. I'm sure he wanted me to continue taking most of the blame. But for some reason, maybe it was love or maybe guilt, he decided to agree.