Part 6-Now

Disclaimer: I do not own the Divergent workd or the characters, Veronica Roth does. 

Now: 

I walk into the office of Johanna Reyes, the politician that I am the assistant to. Before I even get the chance to make my presence clear, she starts speaking. 

"How are you?"

"Good," I answer generically. 

"No, how are you really? I know what yesterday was, Four."  She was one of the only people who still called me that, and she only did it occasionally. As if she was afraid of being heard making reference to a past life. But Johanna seemed to live half in the past, she was the Amity representative after all, and you could tell she missed them. 

"I'm okay. Its been two years and I finally feel somewhat whole again, so yes I'm okay. And if I'm not okay yet, then I'm getting there," I tell her. As soon as I say it I realize I just gave her many different answers, but that is the truth of how I feel. My emotions don't line up; they stay floating in the limbo between good and bad. 

She seems to believe me and just nods before looking back down at the papers on her desk. I take this as a queue to leave, and I am halfway out the door when she stops me. 

"Marcus is coming in today. He says he has settled back in the city and is ready to get back to work," she tells me. Her eyes pleading with me to be okay. "I'm not sure we are going to let him back to his old position, considering what happened last time. But everybody deserves a chance."

I nod slightly, trying to make my face look calm. But on the inside my mind is spinning. I knew that Marcus was back  I had told my mother that he had left the city, and he had. I just hadn't told her that he had returned. I wanted to to let that part of my life go. To forget him and move on. Now that he is back I don't want to come in contact with him; I don't want to have to bring that part of my life back into my mind. 

The rest of the morning goes by, but my mind doesn't leave Marcus. It seems like it's only been 5 minutes before I hear the one voice that I spent so many years afraid of. The one voice I keep trying to forget but can't seem to shake. 

"Hello, Johanna."

A/N: Hey guys! Do you like it so far? What do you think Marcus is going to do? Please please leave feedback!!