Part 12-Now

Disclaimer: I do not own Divergent or any of the chracters.

Now:

My neighbour sees me walking hurriedly out of the building and comes up to me.

"She went that way," he says plainly, pointing towards the road that leads to the old Abnegation sector. The Abnegation sector hasn't changes all that much, except for the houses being a little more individualized. There wasn't enough time to demolish everything and start all over again, so they just left it. There a couple new builds there, but not anything substantial. It's no surprise that that is where my father went when he returned to town. He always liked he order of Abnegation, I think that's what drove him to it more than anything else. Now the city is free, that order that used to control our every move is gone. I guess to him the houses were some sort of calm in the middle of the storm. 

"Thanks," I say gruffly, moving past him to my parked truck. 

As I drive off, I wonder what in the world my mother could be doing right now. For all I know she could have my father by the throat up against the wall. Or she could just be talking to him. But I kinda have the feeling it's probably closer to the former. 

I find myself turning right when I should be going straight. Subconsciously, I am taking the long route to Abnegation, past the other place that I have lived. The place that I may have only lived in for two years, but felt more like home than either Abnegation or my current apartment. I think it was her, she was what made Dauntless feel like home. She was my home. My person. 

There are still people living in the compound, though I have heard i looks nothing like it did ever before. And all the underground areas are gone. The Pit. The Chasm. All of it gone. In a way, that breaks me a little, thinking that the place that I spent so many of my days is gone for good. The place where I first met Tris will never be walked by someone ever again. But in another sense, it feels just. To completely end our old city, we have to close down all that was prominent in it. This is just the next thing that had to go. Otherwise we would still be tethered to it, trying to grasp this new life, but still holing on to the old one. 

I haven't  bee inside dauntless since right after I came back, and right before the process of severing our connections - such as The Pit - began. We all went in there as some kind of goodbye I think. No one really said specifically that we were going, we all just kind of knew it was the next thing we had to do. I drive by Dauntless a lot though. Memories always flood my mind so prominently I swear they're real.

This happens again as I pass by the Compound. This time it's only a short memory, and it's one that Tris isn't in. During my initiation. Our capture the flag game. I remember being so sore from the fight earlier that I literally had to drag myself out to the train. But as soon as I see the blaring headlights of the train I can feel the energy coursing through the crowd and it seeps its way into me as well. it's the first time I ever really felt like part of Dauntless. 

The memory leaves as soon as it comes. I take one more fleeting look at Dauntless and my stomach fills with this aching sadness that I can't even explain. It feels like maybe the realization that I truly will never be living there again has finally hit me. I guess somewhere in my heart I was just waiting to feel that Dauntless energy course through me again. I think we all were. 

I leave it behind without another glance. I try my best to push the sadness away - but to no avail - as I speed down the roads that will take me to my parents.

A/N: Hello! Thank you so much for over 300 reads!! What do you guys think so far? Please comment and vote!