Part 15-Then

Disclaimer: I do not own Divergent or any of the characters, they all belong to the perfect Veronica Roth.

Then:

The compound looks different.  

What I used to think of as my oasis, my place where I could finally escape, now brings a feeling close to anger to my stomach. This whole thing was a lie. From the day that I let my blood drip on the hot coals of dauntless, to the day that a dauntless army was created, it was all a lie. As if Faction Before Blood could save us now. There is nothing to hold on to now. Before we had faith in the factions. Faith in the system, no matter if I was Divergent or not. We trusted - I trusted - that these groups could protect us against the world. But of course, that was a lie too. The only thing they did was break us more. 

The only part of that life that wasn't a lie was Tris. She was always so alive. So real. I guess that's what drew me to her. It only makes sense that she would be the one to die. At least she died with both Abnegation and Dauntless filling her. Supporting her. She lived on the edge of selflessness and bravery. Eventually she was bound to fall. And not even I could pull her back. 

We jump one last time. It was Christina's idea. The trains have already stopped running, but there was an old rusty ladder that leaned against the side of the building. It creaked with every touch. Completely unsafe. Completely perfect for our last act as Dauntless. 

Once I reached the top of the building, I spread my arms wide as the wind whipped around me. I look around and see a rundown building with bricks spilling out around it. They say they are working on rebuilding things. I'm still waiting for someone to tell whoever they are that you can't rebuild what was never there to begin with. You can only start anew. 

"Four!" Christina yells, making her way to the ledge. Her chocolate coloured hair whips around her face as she stands there. Her eyes are rimmed with dark circles, but that doesn't seem to matter with Christina.It isn't really noticeable. I look closely at her hazel eyes and realize that somehow in this post-war  world,  has managed to find eyeliner. I laugh despite myself. I wonder if she is still afraid of me. Tris told me once that she was. I kinda doubt it now. She has seen me at the brink of losing it; of giving up. No more scary instructor facade. 

As she stands there, calling to me, I realize something. She almost looks... beautiful. 

"Hello?" She yells to me. "Are you even listening?! I asked if you want to jump first."

I gulp, but will my fear behind me. After everything, I'm still afraid of heights. 

"Sure," I say, trying to speak past the lump forming in my throat. "I'll jump."

"Go Four!" I hear Zeke shout behind me. Caleb is standing next to him. He didn't really have a choice but to come. None of really know what is supposed to come after this, how our new lives are actually supposed to start. 

"You don'y have to call me that anymore," I say. It is only another lie from my past life. 

"Then what is your name?" Christina says, over the whistling of the wind. I step forward so I am standing on the edge; just like Tris. 

"Tobias," I say. Reactions are slightly delayed. No one really says anything. Only Caleb looks like he understands right away. But I can read the expression on his face. 

You're Tobias Eaton? 

I don't offer anymore words, just turn back to the gaping hole that lays below me. 

I spread my arms wide and let myself fall. 

A/N: Thank you so much for over 600 reads!!!!!!! I cannot wait to see the Divergent movie again next week (I saw it at the premiere last week, it was so good!!) Anyone else seeing it?

Please vote, comment and follow!

And follow my instagram: @bookthings