Part 28- Now

Disclaimer: I still own nothing. 

Now: 

I quickly pull over to the side of the road, trying my best to wipe the thoughts of Tris from my mind. They won't help me now. I decide that this is something that is probably best faced head-on. I just have to ask her. 

"Evelyn," I say as I walk towards her, trying to make my voice sound as even as possible. She looks up at me, and I can tell by the look in her eyes she knows she's been caught. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, Tobias," she says, trying to make her voice light. "I was just going for a walk. couldn't sleep."

"Let me be more specific," I say, now standing right in front of her. "What are you doing with Marcus?"

This seems to stop her in her tracks. She blinks a couple times, trying to regain her composure. Then, she speaks, trying to play it off as if she has no idea what I am talking about.

"Tobias, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not doing anything with Marcus, I didn't even know he was back."

"Evelyn-" 

She cuts me off, her eyes cold. "I am your mother. And you will address me as so."

"No mother of mine would be working with that excuse for a man! I'm going to ask you again, Evelyn. What are you doing with Marcus?"

She sighs, rubbing the back of her hand across her forehead. She knows she's lost this fight, and that is evident in her eyes. "I was going to tell you tomorrow, as I have an offer for you, but I guess now will do," she takes a deep breath her eyes flicking to her shoes for s second, as if pondering whether or not to tell me the truth. All though I think I already, know what she is doing, I need to hear it out loud. I need affirmation. Because once I get that, we can start making a plan. "I'm planning on bringing back the factions. But I'm planning on changing it," she then continues to outline a plan almost exactly like what I thought she would be doing. Everyone who was part of the faction system before, except for a select few, will be sent to The Fringe. All of the people who are currently in The Fringe will move here, and be a part of the system. "The factions held order, I realize that now. I was opposed to them before, but that was before I realized how much they helped us. We need the order. Especially those of us that are not yet Genetically Pure. And those of us who were already part of the factions need the chance to see what life is like outside them I only want to help."

You only want revenge! Those are the words that are biting at the back of my throat, what I really want to say. But instead I only say, "What about Marcus? What are you going to do with him?"

"I need his help to get the people who are ex-faction members to leave. They still listen to him, despite everything. I told him that he would get to help run the city, but I have a much better ending actually in store for him, don't worry," Don't worry? I think to myself. I wanted to put him behind me, and despite everything, I don't want him to suffer. But all I do is nod. 

"What about me? You said you had a proposition for me. What is it?" I try to keep my voice flat, as to not give away any of my emotions on the subject. Not to give away how much I despise this idea with a blood boiling passion. 

"Oh yes," she says, a small smile on her face. "I want you, Tobias to help me run the new city. But I can't really get a sense on how you are feeling about this proposition of mine, and I need to make sure you support me before I let you in on it. Because if you are not with me, you're against me."

Oh, I already know I'm against you, I think. I am about to turn down her offer, let her know where I stand, when I think about how much easier it will be to rebel from the inside. As much as I hate it, I need to do this. 

"I'm with you," I lie. "I'll do it."

I know I haven't updated in like a month, and I'm so sorry. Seriously. I feel so bad. I just haven't had much time. I'll try my best to update more regualrely from now on.