Part 24-Now

Disclaimer: I wish I had invented these characters, but I didn't.

Now:

"We need to find out more first. I'll see what I can get out of here. Then we go into action. We were Dauntless. We know how to win a battle."

The words come flowing out of my mouth, and I feel that sense of community that we had in Dauntless once again. That feeling that we were one. That we all understood and respected each other, and were ready to fight along side one another. It's a feeling of assurance. We know that if we work together we can win this, whatever this is. 

"Okay," Zeke says, standing up. "Call us tomorrow and tell us what's going on. Should we include the braniacs in this? What about Amar and George?"

That's what he always called, the ex-Erudite, specifically Caleb and Cara. They were the only ones we really saw. Well, them and Jordan, Christina's boyfriend, but he's not really as Erudite as them. He would have probably transferred if the war hadn't got in the way.

"Christina, it's up to you if you want to tell Jordan," I say, looking at her. She nods, but I can tell this is something she is really thinking about. None of us know how much danger this will be, maybe it is best not to tell anyone. It will only make it seem like a bigger deal than it is. "As for Cara and Caleb," it still hurt a little to say his name, "we can tell them if it turn out to be a big deal. If it is something that we might need their help with. Or something that is worth worrying over. We still don't know how far along this plan is, maybe I just need to talk to Evelyn. I don't know.

"As for Amar and George, same thing, I would say. Tell them if we need them."

Everyone nods in agreement. Christina turns to face me. 

"I know what today is. Just remember that she's always here, with you, despite anything that could ever happen. I'm here too, you know, if you ever want to talk. I'm always here, Tobias."

I'm not sure what she is talking about, but when she reaches up and wraps her arms around my waists, I hug her back. She must not see the look of puzzlement on my face as she turns around and heads for the door, mumbling something about Jordan and whether or not to tell him. I follow soon after, with Zeke reminding me to call him the next day on my way out the door. Neither him nor Shauna say something along the lines of what Christina said, so they must not know either. 

I know what today is. That's what she said. 

I think over the date today as I drive home. May 15th. Suddenly it clicks and it feels like a hole opened up in my stomach.

Even though we didn't celebrate birthdays in Abnegation, there were still records. Caleb found them last year. We found out Tris' birthday. Today. Tris' birthday is today, and I didn't remember. 

A/N: Does anyone actually read this story? I feel like no one does. Oh well.