Part 17-Then

Disclaimer: I do not own any right to Divergent, would I be writing fanfiction if I did?

Then

I hit the net and it sags with my weight. I lie there on my back for a couple seconds, just trying to slow down my heartbeat. So this is what it feels like to jump first. I think of Tris and how totally and completely at home she looked when she jumped. Her hair was falling out of her tight bun and she had this wild look in her eyes that just screamed Dauntless. I knew I loved her that second. I just didn't realize it yet.

I remember talking to Zeke that night, and telling him about the initiates. Of course he asked about "the Stiff" and I told him that she was different. Like a breath of fresh air. I took a chance and told him that I thought I liked her. 

He wouldn't stop making fun of me for weeks, telling everyone that the almighty Four was in love. And in a way, I didn't mind it. It felt good to finally let my guard down, even if it was through Zeke. Of course, he was careful not to tell anyone who it was. Except Shauna. he doesn't like to admit it, but Zeke is soft under his facade of partying and practical jokes. He really loves her. I think I knew that before he did. 

"You off yet?" i hear from above. I quickly slide to the end of the net and hop to the ground. 

"Yeah," I yell back. I turn around to take in my surroundings. the first thing that I notice is the silence. the dark hallways hold nothing, no laughs of the Dauntless or yells from our city's soldiers clad in black. You could faintly hear the rush of the chasm, but that was it. I don't think I've ever felt more alne than I do in this moment. 

Then a scream breaks the silence and a figure comes rushing down. For a second I flashback to a year ago and I almost make myself believe it is her. But it's not. It never will be again. 

"Wow, that was fun!" Zeke exclaims, a little bit over-excited, obviously trying to take the edge off the the memories that he knows are haunting me right now. They are probably haunting him too. "I can't believe we didn't do that more often!"

I chuckle and go over to where he stands. He looks around and the smile starts to fall from his face. "It's so.... So empty. So broken."

And then I swear I see a single tear fall down his face. 

It's all done. we probably won't ever be back her again. A shock of nostalgia hits me. I don't want it to go. I found out about the plan to destroy it last time I was here. they are planning on blowing up the pit, the whole underground. Trying to cut off all strings to our old lives. This place was my salvation. I guess I'll have to find a new one now. 

I hear another body hit the net an turn around to see Christina there, making her way across the net, tears falling onto her face. 

A/N: thank you for almost 800 reads!!! I saw divergent again today for the fourth time, it gets better each time!! What do you think of this chapter?

Please vote, comment and follow!!