Part 18-Now

Disclaimer: I do not own Divergent, the amazing Veronica Roth does. 

Now:

"What?" Christina exclaims. "Why on earth would they want to do that?" 

She seems surprised, but not completely opposed to the idea. the factions were her whole life. Humans are pulled towards normality, and this the only thing that she has had in her life consistently. It was pulled away from her two years ago, but she must still yearn for it. For the familiarity of the factions. 

But I know that we can't go back to that. It didn't work for a reason. Having to conform to one thing only boxes people out, makes them feel worthless and unimportant. No one was ever truly happy with the factions, there was always something more that they wanted. Either from themselves or from the society as a whole. I wanted bravery to stand up to my father, but in the end all I got was cowardice. The Erudite wanted power, but only got the end of all they have ever known. Everyone wants more, to make them feel like they belong. 

"I have no idea," I answer Christina, the light of the idea sparking in her eyes. I can see it starting in Shauna's eyes as well. Zeke too, but less. How am I supposed to stop this if everyone is fighting for it instead of against? Maybe it's because I know what the factions can do to people that I see why this won't work. Maybe because I know what the fierce loyalty to your faction can make you lose. Tris lost her life. I lost her. "My mother was Factionless before, I don't know what she thinks will happen this time around. All I know is that she was talking about 'restoring it all' which I am going to assume means bringing back our old society. I don't think Marcus wants to work with her though. But I think that he wants this as well, why else would he have come back? Evelyn has plans, and even if he doesn't realize it yet, he needs her. It's only a matter of time until they agree to work together. And then who knows. We need to stop this soon."

"Oh hell," Zeke says, exasperated. He tips his head back as if he is talking to the heavens. "We just went through a war! Do we rally need another one?"

"No we don't. and that is why we have to stop this before it gets that far," I say, trying to make sure my voice doesn't waver. 

"Would it really be so bad?" Shauna asks, that light still in her eyes. "Until the Erudite, you know, started a war, everything was fine. We could go back to that."

I open my mouth to answer, but Zeke gets there first. 

"Did you ever really feel at home in Dauntless? Did you ever really feel like you fit in there? No one did. The factions were ideals that no one could meet. If we brought it back it would be the same. It would just be a matter of time before another war broke out. Plus, we didn't go through everything that we did to just go back to the way it was before. No, we fought to have a better life. And we'll fight for this life again."

A/N: Thanks for reading!!!! Please vote, comment and follow!