Chapter 37

Third Person

Two more months passed. It was nearly Gumball's due date. It seemed like he was on the edge of death but he was trying to hide it with small smiles and baggy clothing.

Marshall was obviously worried for him. His lover was dying right in front of him and he was powerless to stop it. The vampire couldn't risk turning him now. It was too soon. They would have to wait until after the baby was born.

"Gumball, are you sure that you can wait much longer...?" Marshall asked, holding the one he loved close.

"Y-Yeah... I'll be okay... It's just a little while longer..." Gumball replied softly, resting his head on the other's chest.

The vampire's worst fear at this point was losing the one he loved. He had built up his life around him and it was impossible to think about going on without him in it. Plus there was no way Marshall could raise a child on his own.

Marshall wouldn't even know where to begin. And something he worried about if he lost Gumball would be their child. He feared that if his partner was killed by their child that somehow that would make him resent the child.

This wasn't the case at all. Marshall would always love their baby, no matter what. A parent's love for a child is unconditional. Any parent that said they didn't love their kid was lying or heartless. While the vampire's heart may not have a beat, that didn't mean he couldn't feel love. Gumball was a living example; barely living, but still living.

"Just... If something happens... Promise me you'll let me know before it's too late, okay?" Marshall asked, praying that it wouldn't get to that point.

"Marshall, that's not going to happen..." Gumball reassured, hugging the other tighter.

"Just promise me," the vampire persisted, wanting to have some tiny piece of mind that everything would be okay.

"I promise you that everything will be okay," the candy boy replied, kissing Marshall's cheek.

Marshall smiled and held his partner close. He desperately wanted to believe that everything would be okay but his mind wasn't allowing him. Nothing had ever really turned out to be okay in his life. Perhaps that was why he wasn't confident in the situation.

Gumball teased the vampire's hair. Marshall was resting his head on the candy boy's belly gently. He often liked to listen to their baby. Gumball thought it was cute that Marshall did small things like that and it honestly did make him happy.

"Do you hear anything...?" He asked something he often was curious about when the vampire listened.

"It's almost like... Tapping, but soft and quiet... And... I'm not sure how to describe the rest but... It seems like something perks up when you talk... I think they like the sound of your voice..." Marshall replied, trying to explain what he was listening to, although it was rather difficult.

After that Gumball seemed to fall silent. It stayed that way for a few moments.

"Gummy, you okay?" the vampire asked, noticing his partner's silence.

"I-I think the baby's coming."