Chapter 18

Third Person

A few weeks passed since then. The vomiting had eased up and Gumball had slowly been returning to his normal self. However, Peppermint Maid had started to snoop around the situation.

She had noticed a while back that he hadn't been acting normal and was now asking questions. Gumball, of course, blew off her suspicion as him being sick and that he was better now.

Marshall Lee was slowly beginning to become concerned. Once his partner started to show it would be nearly impossible to hide the fact that they were in a relationship. Although, Gumball's birthday was only a month away. Perhaps they could maybe just squeak by. But that was still going to be difficult and they both knew that.

Peppermint Maid made her way to Gumball's room, knocking on the door before entering. The candy prince sat up quickly and pulled the covers up, concealing Marshall from her view.

"Gumball, we need to talk," she told him, a stern yet concerned tone in her voice.

"O-Okay... May I ask what this is about?" Gumball asked, becoming a bit more concerned.

She sat down on the edge of the bed and gave Gumball a glare like he should know exactly what she wanted to talk about. Unfortunately, he didn't.

"You've been showing some... Signs... Lately..." Peppermint said, putting emphasis in her sentence.

The Candy Prince felt his stomach dropping and gulped softly. If Pound Cake had told anyone, this would explode into a huge Council debate. He didn't want that. In fact, sometimes he wished that he wasn't a prince at all.

If Gumball wasn't prince then it wouldn't matter if he was pregnant. He could live out his days happily with Marshall. And eventually become like Marshall if that's what he wanted. But they would be able to be open with their relationship and not have to hide behind closed doors and under bed sheets. It would make things much easier.

"I know you're pregnant, Gumball... Now... I can't say that I'm upset, but... The timing for this isn't all that great... And if the Council of the Kingdoms finds out it would be a very heated debate because of you being so young... I'm not going to say anything because I don't want that, but you have to realize... You'll start to show soon and that would be easy to hide. I'll help quiet things down as much as I can, but I can't do everything..." Peppermint Maid promised, just wanting to keep the one she thought of as her son safe.

"Thank you, Peppermint Maid," Gumball replied, hugging the one he considered to be his mother.

The two had a close bond that not too many understood. Peppermint was like his mother; the only one who truly tried to raise him since Gumball's parents weren't in the picture. But Marshall understood their closeness.

It didn't matter if they weren't related by blood. They might as well be mother and son. She was always looking out for him and he was always doing what she said. Even if neither of them had an actual family, they had each other.