Chapter 17

Third Person

Pound Cake had promised not to say anything about the pregnancy to anyone. One reason was that she could lose her job if she revealed details about a patient without their consent. Another reason was that she actually liked Gumball and didn't want him to lose his throne.

Marshall Lee helped Gumball back upstairs to his bed. The only thing he could do for his symptoms was rest. There really wasn't anything else to do. The vomiting would go away eventually, but the pains might last longer.

"Gumball, what are you thinking about right now...?" Marshall asked softly, hearing a quiet sound that he couldn't quite make out.

"I'm not really thinking about anything..." the candy boy replied, looking at the vampire.

Marshall shrugged it off and held his partner close. The sound was now louder. It was a bit confusing but the vampire didn't know what it was. It wasn't like words, but more like small sounds.

The vampire thought to himself for a few moments before glancing down at Gumball's stomach. He moved down the bed and laid his head on the other's stomach. The sound was now much louder.

Gumball was slightly confused but soon understood what Marshall was trying to do.

"I think I can hear them..." he said softly, looking up at the other with a smile.

Gumball was a bit surprised but smiled. He didn't think that Marshall would be able to hear something that was still developing. But to find out he could was interesting.

"I didn't think you would be able to..." he replied softly.

"I didn't think so either... But I've actually heard them for a few days..." the vampire added, just now realizing it himself.

"Really? What does it sound like?" Gumball asked, having a bit of excitement.

Marshall wasn't sure how to describe the sound. It was similar to tapping or ticking, but he wasn't sure how to put that into words. He did know it wasn't thoughts, which would make sense.

A fetus developing in the womb wouldn't be able to have thoughts in any written or spoken language. They wouldn't know what it was. They wouldn't understand it. Even if a fetus can hear from the womb that doesn't make it able to think and function at a complex level.

"It's hard to explain... It's not thoughts... But it's like... Little taps and sounds like that..." the vampire explained, looking up at Gumball.

The Candy Prince smiled as the other hugged his waist, resting his head on his stomach. They had laid like that before, but not for this reason. That made it sweeter than before.

Marshall actually liked to listen to the fetus. He was happy to be with Gumball. He wouldn't want it any other way.

The vampire wasn't sure if he wanted a family, but now that he was going to have one, he was sure that he wanted it. Gumball always knew he wanted a family and was glad it was with the one he loved. They were both very happy.