Chapter 40

Third Person

The two hugged for a good while. Marshall was ecstatic to see the one he loved was still with him. The venom worked. Sure it had been a few hours, but it worked and that was the important thing.

Gumball smiled, wiping the other's tears away. Marshall smiled, holding Gumball's hand to his cheek for a moment. They were the same temperature now; cold as ice yet warm to each other.

"Do you want to go see him?" Gumball asked, knowing that neither of them had seen their son yet.

Marshall had been too upset to even acknowledge the child when he thought he lost his partner. Gumball was simply too weak. But once he regained his strength and the venom took over he knew that Marshall wouldn't be with their son. He'd be somewhere else, upset and trying to deal with the thought of his death.

"Yeah, I do..." he replied, standing and pulling the other with him.

They walked back to the infirmary hand in hand. They weren't letting each other go.

While the two were gone Peppermint Maid had taken over. She was rocking the child in her arms with a smile. He seemed perfect.

His parents walked in, eager to meet their child. She handed the newborn to Gumball, her smile never fading.

The child had pink-ish-grey skin and hair that was darker but still a shade of pink. His eyes were red like the ones of Marshall's bat form. He was simply just plain adorable. Both his parents thought he was perfect.

"What should we name him?" Gumball asked, not having any in mind.

The two hadn't had much time to discuss names. It seemed like something was always getting in the way. Then stress of Gumball even surviving added to the distractions. Now here they were, a son without a name.

"I'm not sure... We didn't really talk about it..." Marshall replied, having never been good with names anyway.

The two thought for a few moments to themselves, although they could actually hear each other's thoughts. Neither of them came up with anything good.

Gumball would like something more traditional while Marshall would prefer something that sounded interesting and less "dorky," as he referred to it. It was clear that neither of them was going to come up with something that the other liked.

"How about Leonardo? He could go by Leo for short..." Peppermint Maid suggested, seeing the two couldn't come up with anything on their own.

"I like it..." Gumball said softly, looking at the child in his arms.

"I like it too..." Marshall added.

The couple shared a smile with each other and looked at their son. He was sound asleep in Gumball's arms. He really was a cute kid.

Only the future would tell what it had in store for them, but the two simply couldn't wait. They had their son and Gumball had survived. All was looking up for once. Now there was only one more thing the couple had to do: get married.