CHAPTER 27

Demi’s POV:

Justin and I walked out to the halls.

                “Hey, so um… what’s up?” Justin said,

                “So… you came in today and… you brought Se—“

                Justin groaned. “Is this about me and Selena?”

                “No, well, actually, yes.”

                “Listen—I don’t—well. Ugh, sorry. What were gonna say?” Justin said sighing.

                “Um…” I began. I glanced back at y/n in the room, who was staring right at me. She was shaking her head ‘no’. I looked back at Justin and hesitated. Then, I finally managed to say, “I’m glad you and Selena are doing well together,” I said and quickly went back into the room, leaving Justin in confusion in the halls.

Justin’s POV:

Wait. What just happened?

I expected Demi to start yelling at me for blowing my chance with y/n and leaving her heartbroken or something… But she’s happy for me? Demi doesn’t like Selena at all, I know that. But why is she being so friendly all of a sudden? This is getting weird.

I walked back inside and found Demi quietly talking to y/n while Selena was watching TV. I sat down next to Selena, trying to overhear Demi and y/n’s conversation.

Demi’s POV:

                “Thanks Demi,” y/n said smiling at me.

                I sighed. “If that’s what you want, I’ll respect it,” I said giving her a hug. “But are you sure—“

                “Yes! I’m sure!” y/n laughed.

                “I still don’t lik—“

                “Shh! They’re sitting right there!” y/n hushed.

I looked over at Justin, who was watching TV with Selena. I quietly groaned to myself.

                “Ok. But you get my point,”

y/n nodded.

Justin’s POV:

The end of the day came, and I got some alone time with y/n.

                “So, y/n,” I began awkwardly.

                “Yeah?”

                “What, um, what do you think of Selena?”

                y/n thought of what to say. “Um… She’s cool,”

                “Really? You think so?”

I knew she was just saying that to not hurt my feelings.

                “Yeah, she’s nice and pretty. Glad you’re happy,” y/n said casually, not looking at me.

                “Oh, thanks,”

                “Anyways,” she said, wanting to change the topic, “I can’t wait to get out of this place,” she sighed, looking around.

                “I can’t wait either,” I said, and we laughed.

                “So, um, will I be returning to my house afterwards or…?”

                “Well you can’t stay at your house right now because it’s being investigated, but there’s Demi’s or my place. I mean, I have an extra bedroom if you wanna—“

                “Um, it’s alright. I think I’d be more… comfortable staying at Demi’s.”

                “Oh ok, I understand,” I said hiding my disappointment.

                “Thanks for the offer though,” she smiled.

                “No problem. Always happy to help,” I smiled back.

I said goodnight to y/n and left and closed the door behind me. Selena was in the restroom and Demi was sitting on a bench right outside, watching Selena’s things for her.

                “Hey, by the way, y/n is staying at your house once she gets outta here,” I said shortly, annoyed, and didn’t even look Demi.

                “Whoa… what’s with the attitude?” Demi laughed.

                “Nothing. It’s just like y/n doesn’t even want me around anymore or something. She isn’t as enthusiastic when I’m around, and like, I offer to help her, and she denies it. I don’t know why she’s acting like this, it’s killing me.”

                Demi just laughed. “Maybe it’s because you have a new girlfriend,”

                “What?” I was confused.

                “Maybe y/n is just intimidated having Selena around, you know? I think she’s rather be with a single person than someone committed to a relationship. I mean, who knows? She might feel like a third wheel staying at your house.”

                “Well, then I won’t invite Selena over. It’ll just me be and y/n.”

                “I think you know Selena well enough that she would never leave you alone with another girl,”

                “It’s just y/n. We’re friends right?”

Demi remained silent.

                “Right?” I repeated.

Silence.

                “W-what? A-are y/n and I not friends anymore?”

                “What? Of course you guys are friends!” Demi finally said.

I saw Selena walk out of the restroom, heading towards us. I tried to finish the conversation quickly so Selena wouldn’t get curious.

                “Then what are you talking about?” I continued.

                Demi hesitated and sighed. “You… you just wouldn’t understand, Justin. I don’t think you’ve ever been friend-zoned before.” Demi said and left quickly to the elevator as Selena came.

                Selena had a shocked expression on her face. “Wow. No goodbye? Just leave like that? Rude, much?” she scoffed. “Whatever. C’mon, baby, let’s go.”

                “Wait. Did you say ‘bye’ to y/n yet?”

                “Yeah, I did already.” Selena said shortly. I don’t think she was speaking the truth, but I just let it go.

                “Ok.” I said and we made our way down to the lobby.

y/n’s POV:

I lay still in my bed, thinking about my future, especially with Justin since it was dead now. Selena seems like a nice girl. She’s incredibly beautiful too. I could never compete with that.

I don’t know what’s going on in my life to begin with. All I know is that I like Justin… a lot. I could never admit that to him when he’s in love with someone else.

A tear rolled down my cheek the more I thought about it. My life is a mess in general.

I lay there and quietly cried myself to sleep for the rest of the night.