My...Stepbrother? [boyxboy]

“Are we there yet?!”

                “Kory! You’ve asked me that twelve times already!”

                “Well, I’ll stop asking when we get there! Duh!”

                My mom groaned in annoyance. “Kory, we are NOT there yet,” she grumbled. “And if you ask me one more time, I’m kicking you out of the car and you can hitchhike.”

                I pouted and shrank down in my seat, crossing my arms childishly as I glared out the window as the world sped by.

                “Where’s your iPod? Why don’t you listen to that?” mom asked, glancing at me.

                I dug around in the backseat until I produced my iPod. I stuck my headphones in and turned it up as Let’s Get It played their song Maps.

                I leaned back against the seat and turned to look out the window again, wondering how close we were but not daring to ask. I didn’t feel like hitchhiking. With my luck, I’d get some creepy fat pedo bear truck driver named Joe Bob who would take my poor virginity! Ew. No thank you!

                You see, my mom had married her boyfriend of five years, and was now moving to live with him today. He was a nice guy named Brandon, and I could tell he really loved my mom. That got him a gold star in my book.

                Brandon had a son, but I had never met him before. Isn’t that wonderful? My mom’s been with this guy for five years, and I’ve never met his kid before. Hell, I didn’t even know how old his kid was!

                I had been at the wedding, but Brandon’s son hadn’t been. He had been home sick with the flu. Too exhausted to come and not wanting to spread the disease around, he had missed the wedding.

                Mom always talked about us meeting over the summer, but I always went to summer camp with a group of my friends, so that never happened. She would talk about us meeting over school breaks, but I went away with friends during those, too.

                I felt really bad about having never met Brandon’s son, but that was going to change today! I was finally going to meet this kid now that we were stepbrothers.

                I began to wonder what Brandon’s son was like. My mom had met him a few times, but she didn’t say much about him. Then again, I always asked about Brandon and she loved to talk about him. I probably should’ve asked her about his son.

                I really hoped that Brandon’s son was as cool as Brandon himself. Brandon was really, really funny and nice. He and my mom got along great and they were perfect for each other. I would say they were ying and yang, but that would make me think dirty thoughts. And when those thoughts concerned my mom and her new husband…yuck. Just yuck. Uh-uh, no way, no thank you!

                Feeling tired, I stretched a little, banging my knee on the dashboard and glaring at it. I pointed a threatening finger at it.

                “Don’t mess with me. I have a license to kill!” I threatened.

                “Kory, when you start threatening the dashboard, I think that means you need a nap,” mom said with a sigh, shaking her head at me.

                “Eyes on the road woman!” I cried and she sighed again and turned her attention back to the road as she drove. I made myself as comfortable as possible in the car seat, careful of my knee this time, and closed my eyes. The exhaustion from the past week of packing finally hit me like a train, and I fell into an uncomfortable sleep quickly.