Chapter 25: Some Serious Shit is Going Down....

The raven is very large.  His feathers are the blackest black-  they have a beautiful blue sheen to them.   I have an urge to touch him- just to see if he feels as smooth as he looks.  I am pulled back into a firm embrace.  I look up and slightly back in confusion to see Owen's face. 

  "Miss Selene, you should not try to touch wild animals.  They may have rabies, and this one looks like it may be dangerous" he says sternly, his mouth pulled in a straight line. 

  I look back to the bird in time to see Mr. Adams sneaking up to it with a large pot in one hand and the lid in the other.

 *Rabies!!? Why, I never!!* The outraged voice of the raven sounds in my head, but no one else seems to hear it.   They can see it moving its wings in agitation though.

 "That bird is clearly unhinged," Felix grumbles from beside me.

  The raven screeches and then I hear  *Unhinged?!!  I'll show you unhinged!  And tell that old man to back off before I start clawing some eyes out!*  

"Everyone, please stop!  Just... no body move... and be quiet for a moment, ok?  Please?" I yell out desperately.  The bird seemed serious about the eye thing, and I have seen enough blood for the week...  The men all pause and watch me, confusion on their faces.  The raven gives his head a little shake and seems to settle down just a bit, but I can tell it is still tense and ready to strike.  I take a hesitant step out of Owen's embrace. Dwyer moves a little- to do what, I don't know- but I hold up a hand to stop him.  He obeys my silent command. 

  *I see you have the beasts at least somewhat trained.  This is a good thing.*

  " So,  umm... Mr. Raven..."

*Please.  Call me Bram."

  "Ok.  Bram..."  The craziness of the situation leaves me speechless for  a moment.  I feel the men around me become more restless.  Bram just watches me, his head tilted to the side a little so that one big, glossy eye is on me.  He slowly blinks. 

  "What are you?"  

*I am a raven.* is the reply.  

  My shoulders slump in defeat and I press a palm against my closed eyelids.  Kenji slowly approaches me and touches my arm. 

"Is it talking to you?" His voice is low and hesitant.  I nod to him, but keep my eyes closed a moment longer.  I hear his sharp intake of breath.  

"Why is it here?"  Kenji asks.

  I look back at Bram to see if he will answer.  He just blinks at me slowly.   He is clearly waiting for me to address him.  I clear my throat and oblige.  

  " Why are you here?"  I feel silly repeating the question. 

 *To be your teacher of course.  And you clearly need one.  You have no idea what is going on!*  He shakes his head and manages to look appalled.  Who knew a bird could be so expressive?  I let out a giggle that sounds slightly deranged, even to my ears.

  "He says he is to be my teacher," I tell the room at large.  Kenji relaxes his stance and I feel the others do the same. 

  "Well then, Mr Adams, I believe you can put away your pot now."  I turn to look at Owen in disbelief.  He clears his throat a little and then pushes his glasses up with one finger.   Mr. Adams walks to the kitchen  and the rest of the guys slowly start settling back into their places for the night.  Many of them cast glances at me and the bird.  I look at Aiden, who is getting back on the couch and comfortable.  

  "This doesn't seem totally insane to you?!"  My voice is overly loud and cracks. 

Aiden looks up at me a little concerned.  "I am assuming this is the same voice you heard just before you started juicing us up?"  I nod in response.  "Ok, so, for now, we believe him.  He tries anything shifty, and we have roast bird that night,"he says and as he shrugs.   Angry sputters come from Bram.