Chapter 15: Eggs and bacon and demons, oh my!

The other boys had starting waking up shortly after the discussion with Owen.  They each got ready for the day and then we all got in cars and headed to a late brunch.  I rode with Dwyer, Kenji and Aiden again; this time with Aiden in the back with me.  I  needed a bit of a break from Owen's intensity.  He and Felix followed us in a separate car.  Speaking of Aiden, he had wanted to carry me out to the car but I had insisted that I could walk fine on my own. Dwyer and Felix  had found it all very funny, and Kenji had rolled his eyes when Aiden made his disapproving grunts.  Owen had just ignored everything and headed to his car.   Aiden was now sitting calmly and quietly next to me.  There was some music playing low and the other boys were quiet as well.  There was a lot of yawning going on and I could tell everyone was still pretty tired.   I don't mind the quiet at all and, once again, I am fascinated by everything I can see through the window.

  We stop in the parking lot of a restaurant called Perkins and I start to get nervous.  I have never been to one of these places before.  Is there a certain kind of etiquette to be minded when eating out?  Oh  no,  I am pretty sure I need money-  I didn't even think about money when I was leaving the house yesterday...  The sense of peace and relaxation that had taken over me on the way here is shattered.  I am now a tense mess.  I am vaguely aware of the guys opening doors and exiting the car. 

   "Cutie Pie, I can tell that you are thinking way too hard about something," Dwyer's voice says from beside me.  He had opened my door and is now peering in at me with a frown on his face.  He extends a hand out to me to help me out of the car. 

  "Come on, lets get some grub."  I take his hand and let him help me out. 

  "I just realized that I have no money,"  I whisper to him nervously.

 He chuckles a little, "Not to worry- we've got ya covered."

 He is now pulling me along with him and we trail behind Kenji and Aiden.  Felix and Owen have just pulled up next to Dwyer's car and they are getting out as well.  Moments later, we are standing in a small entry way inside the restaurant.  Dywer hasn't let go of my hand, and I am grateful.  A young lady had greeted us and is asking how many of us would be dining in today, Kenji answers and she runs off.  I hear the sounds of tables and chairs being moved and  I look around to take in the tan and brown colors that permeate the place.  It is not long before the lady has come back an is walking us to our tables. 

  Kenji pulls out a chair and indicates that I should sit there.  I smile a thanks to him as I sit.  Dwyer sits to my right and Kenji sits on my left.  Felis seats himself across from me  and gives me a blinding smile, complete with dimples.  Aiden sits across from Kenji and Owen across Dwyer.   Suddenly, everyone is being handed folders and the lady who sat us is leaving.  I watch as the guys open , what I now realize to be the menus- duh-  and then open mine.  Wow.  I don't even know where to start.  There is an endless possibility of food.  Breakfast , lunch , dinner , deserts.  I have always just eaten whatever Mary had prepared- I have never had a say in my food before....

   I am startled out of my thoughts by a overly cheery male voice,   "Helo! My name is Dennis and I will be your server today.  Can I start you all off with some drinks?"

 Each of the guys choose a drink.  Some of them order Coke, some sweet tea, and Owen orders a coffee.  When the server looks my way,  I manage to croak out , "umm,  a water please."  He smiles and gives us all a nod, and is then off.  I let out a breath that I didn't realize I was holding.   Everyone goes back to reading the menus again. 

  "What are you considering Selene?" asks Kenji.

  "Well, ...  I ... There is an awful lot here...."