chapter seven

Peter and Annie walked for what felt like hours. Annie's feet were sore, and she had many scratches on her skin from low hanging tree branches.

     "Do you even know where Luke is?" Annie whined from behind Peter. He didn't answer, and Annie stopped walking. "Pan!" Annie yelled. Peter stopped in his tracks, and turned around. He grinned when he saw Annie standing still with her arms crossed over her chest, and a frustrated scowl etched on her face.

     "Yes, I do." Peter said. Annie sighed, and uncrossed her arms.

     "Where is he then?" She questioned. Peter's grin was starting to annoy her.

     "He's back at the camp. When you were busy tying your shoe, I saw him and told him to go back." Peter replied, walking closer.

     Annie looked down at her boot. Her lace was untied, once again. "Dammit." She mumbled under her breathe, and bent down to tie her shoe.

     "Annie, what are you doing?" Peter asked.

     "Tying my shoe."

     "Why?"

    "Because, I can't kick your arse with a untied lace."

     Peter laughed, loudly. It brought a small smile to Annie's face to hear him laugh. It was pure, and genuine.

     "You're gonna kick my arse?" He asked, still chuckling.

     "Y-yes. You dragged me out here for no reason."

     "Dragged you?" Annie nodded. "If I had dragged you, you'd have a lot more injuries than the ones the trees gave you." Peter pointed out.

     "Whatever." Annie mumbled.

     "And, Annie. Nothing I do is for no reason."

     "Then why'd you bring me out here?" Annie asked.

     "I was testing you."

     "How?"

     "I was waiting to see when you'd get tired, or impatient. And I have to say Annie, I'm impressed. You took a lot longer than most of the boys." Peter explained.

     "Yeah well, boys are impatient." Annie mumbled.

     "It also showed me how willing you are to walk into the woods with someone. I could've killed you for all you know."

     "But you didn't."

     "You're right, I didn't."

     Peter and Annie stood in silence for a few minutes, before Annie turned around and started walking.

     "Where are you going?" Peter yelled after her.

     "Back to camp!" Annie yelled back. Peter groaned, and chased afted her.

     "I'll race you." Peter said with a slight grin.

     "Okay." Annie said. Both Peter and Annie started running through the woods, Annie trailing just slightly behind Peter the whole time. All of a sudden, Peter took a turn. Annie followed him, but he was gone.

     "Peter?" Annie said. The forest was quiet, except for a few chirps from birds. "Peter!" Annie yelled louder. "Pan!" Annie yelled so loudly that she scared a group of birds away. She mumbled an apology, and started looking for Peter. For the first time since Annie got here, she was scared.

     Annie heard someone chuckling, and knew it must be Peter. She followed the sound of the noise, only to be knocked back when something hit her in the face. Annie groaned as she rubbed mud off her face, and flung it onto the ground.

     "Guess who's arse is getting kicked now?" Peter asked, and appeared on the path.

     "How'd you disappear like that?" Annie asked as she continued wiping her face.

     "I have magic, Annie." Peter replied.

     "Well then use your hocus pocus to get this stuff off my face."

     "It's not hocus pocus. It's real magic. Neverland's a pretty magical place." Peter said. Annie took a moment to think about this.

     "Like the mermaid? And the shadow?" Annie asked.

     "Exactly."

     Annie looked at Peter, processing what he was saying. He tried to hold back a laugh, and quickly turned it into a cough.

     "What's so funny?"

     "I can't take you seriously when you're covered in mud."

     "Hmm, I wonder who got me covered in mud."

     "Jeez, Annie. Have some fun for once. There's a waterfall that you can bathe in, I'll take you to it."

     "I need to go back to camp and get clean clothes, too."

     "And soap, and a towel." Peter said. He started walking, and led Annie back to camp. Peter went into the kitchen tent, while Annie went into her own tent. She picked out a clean outfit, and left the tent. Peter was standing outside his tent with a towel and a fresh bar of soap. He handed Annie the supplies when she walked up to him.

     "Thanks. Is that kinda the supply tent?" Annie asked.

     "Uh, yes." Peter replied.

     "Where do you sleep?

     "In my bed."

     "Which tent is that in?"

     "My tent."

     Annie groaned, and started walking away from Peter.

     "I'm kidding, Annie. My room is behind the kitchen, where all the supplies are." Peter said as he chased after Annie, again.

     "I know." Annie replied.

     "H-how do you know?"

     "I saw you in there once."

     "Then why'd you ask?" Peter asked.

     "I was testing you."

     "How?"

     "To see if you're a liar." Annie replied. She heard Peter sigh behind her, and knew he was shaking his head.

 She heard Peter sigh behind her, and knew he was shaking his head