chapter twenty four

Pain. All that Annie Wood felt was pain. Her mind had become numb to any other feeling, all of her senses focusing on the ache in her heart. Nightmares prevented the girl from sleeping, her entire self being consumed by the aftermath of Grayson's death.

Due to not sleeping for a few days, dark circles plagued under Annie's now dull green coloured eyes. The spark in them was gone, replaced by the permanent gloss of tears that wouldn't fall. Chapped lips and messy brown hair that had been in a pony tail for too long joined the lifeless eyes of the teenager.

Annie was currently walking through the jungle, staring down at the path as she went. She couldn't be at camp, she didn't want the boys to see her so broken. And, seeing the boys in their own state of sadness and grief only made Annie more upset. She wanted to be alone with her thoughts, free to cry whenever her eyes decided it was time to. Free to yell and scream out of anger with only the birds hearing her.

Without a destination in mind, Annie allowed her feet to carry her through the jungle. Every tree and path looked the same so Annie truly had no idea where she was going. She found herself at the base of a grass covered hill, and recognized it immediately. This hill haunted her thoughts, and was permanently etched into her mind. She remembered every detail, including the roots that stuck out of the ground, a large hole that probably led into an underground tunnel system and housed small animals, and the dirt path that she had walked on just a few days ago.

Annie knew what was at the top of the hill, and without even thinking twice about it, started walking up. She grabbed at the tree roots to help her weak body up the path, a few tears rolling slowly down her cheeks before she even reached the top of the hill.

Once Annie reached the top of the hill, she stopped to catch her breath before walking away from the edge and into the trees that stood proudly on top. Just past a few trees was a grey headstone, looking brand new and untouched. There wasn't a single crack in the stone or plants threatening to take it over. The dirt hadn't even settled yet, leaving a small pile in front of the stone. The headstone looked out of place, standing out against the trees like a ruby in a mix of diamonds.

Annie's eyes skimmed across the stone as she walked over to it, and sat down just in front of the unsettled dirt. Etched into the stone were the words; Grayson Dolan. Beloved Brother and Friend. May He Rest With Ease.

"I miss you, Grayson," was all Annie managed to say as she stared at the stone, letting out a choked sob.

"Annie?" A voice spoke behind the girl. Annie turned to look over her shoulder, quickly wiping both of her eyes free of tears.

"Jakob." Annie gave the boy a small smile as he walked over, and sat down. Jakob didn't say anything as he stared at the headstone, but held out his hand for Annie to take. She got his message, interlocking her fingers with his own. "Thanks." Annie mumbled, appreciating the boy's gesture to comfort her.

"I don't think he's actually dead." Jakob stated, shocking Annie with his accusation.

"Jakob, we watched him die." Annie reminded the boy, her eyebrows furrowing together in confusion as she looked over at him.

"No, I don't think it was Grayson. I stayed with him after all of you left the day...the day he died." Jakob sighed heavily, knowing Annie was waiting for him to explain more. "Pan doesn't know about this. Grayson and I gave each other stick and poke tattoos a while ago, before you came back. We were celebrating in a way, because Grayson had finally returned to this damn island. But we also made a pact to protect each other if anything were to happen. You know, if Pan locked us in a cage or something." Jakob chuckled at the last part, before pulling up the bottom of his shirt. "It's a frowny face. Grayson has a smiley face. I checked if he had it...just in case. And whoever died, whoever looked like Grayson, it wasn't Grayson." Jakob explained as Annie studied the small, slightly faded tattoo on his ribs. It sat at about the middle of his side.

"What are you saying, Jakob? You think Grayson...faked his own death? Or someone was faking being Grayson? How...how is that even possible?" Annie was growing confused by what Jakob was saying, after being so convinced that her best friend was gone. Dead and gone.

"Think about it, Annie. Do you really think Pan would let his brother die? Of Dreamshade, of all things?" Jakob asked, putting his shirt down.

"He told me there was no cure." Annie mumbled, turning her eyes to Grayson's grave. If it even was Grayson's.

"I don't know what his plan is. But this was just one big step in it. We need to figure out what he's up to, before we all end up in danger." Jakob told the girl before standing up, pulling her up with him. "We're gonna start with heading back to camp. Felix has finally returned, from wherever he was."

____________

Okay I know you're probably all very confused but everything will be explained soon! I've had this planned out for so long and I'm so happy I'm finally writing it!