chapter thirty two

As soon as Annie was back at camp with the boys, she headed straight towards her tent. It felt like forever ago that the girl was in her tent, and the inside represented that. The bed was unmade, with half the blankets on the floor. Piles of dirty clothes were spread out around the room and the only reason they hadn't been washed yet was because the drawers of her dresser had magically refilled themselves. Even some of the vines that made up the external structure of the tent were starting to grow inside.

"Hey. You alright?" Peter said behind the girl, and she slowly turned around to look at him. Annie only just noticed how beat up he looked, with dirt across is left cheek and dark bags under his eyes. There were thin scratches above his eyebrow and on his chin.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just glad to be back here." Annie replied, lifting up her hands to motion towards the tent.

"Okay," Peter said quietly, looking down as he nodded. "Well, if you need anything I'm right outside." He stated before looking back up, and turning around to walk away.

"Pan." Annie called after him, he turned back around with an eyebrow raised. "Now that the mermaid is dead, what's gonna happen to us? Are we all in danger?" The girl asked, needing the truth more than anything. She had been in the dark for so long about so many things, and secrets were finally being pushed to the surface. Annie knew that no matter hard the truth was to take, she'd rather hear it than a lie.

"It's hard to say. Mermaids are powerful, but as long as we don't go into their territory anymore we should be fine." Peter replied, earning a nod from Annie.

"Okay," was all she managed to say. Without another word, Peter left her tent. Annie was alone again, but she found comfort in the silence. She listened to the sounds of birds and the Lost boys out by the firepit, all relieved that they hadn't watched another one of their own die. Luke had already fallen victim to the mermaids, and that memory haunted those who had witnessed it.

Annie slowly took her shoes off, not having enough energy to be quick with it. She straightened out the blankets on her bed before getting under the cold covers, the material embracing her like a long lost friend. Before her head even hit the feathered pillow, she was asleep.

As Annie slept in the comfort of her bed, she had a peaceful dream about flying through Neverland. She could see the tops of trees and all the warm beaches, but knew better than to set foot on them. In her dream she was one with the world, living in harmony with nature. The dream took a turn when her magic began to fade, and Annie felt herself dropping in the sky. She wasn't that high up and wasn't going fast enough to plummet to her death, but she had clipped the side of a large pine tree and landed with a thud and a groan on the dirt ground. Thankfully, she hadn't landed on any rocks or tree roots. With her face contorted in discomfort, Annie's eyes opened only slightly. Her vision was blurry and flashes of colour crossed her eyes. She could see the underside of the tall green trees, as well as the blue sky that poked through the leaves. A face came into view, and Annie soon realized that it was the brown eyes and sharp jawline of Grayson that was looking down on her.

Annie lay frozen on the ground, with nothing more than a small smile forming on her face. All of a sudden the scenery changed and Annie was back in her bed, surrounded by the brown and green walls of her tent. The only things that were the same was the dull ache in her head and Grayson, looking down on her with a concerned expression on his face. Annie forced her eyes to open a bit more, not sure if this was still part of her dream. That made the most sense, since Grayson wouldn't just come walking back to camp. Just as Annie tried to sit up, Grayson left her line of view, and walked out of the tent. Assuming it was all just a dream, Annie rolled over onto her side and went back to sleep.

     The cheering and whooping of the Lost boys woke Annie up, along with a crash that caused her to sit upright in bed. Her vision went dark from the sudden movement but quickly returned as she got out of bed. Annie pulled her hair into a ponytail before putting her shoes on, and left the tent. The boys were dancing around a roaring fire, with a large tree branch sticking out of one side of the pit. Annie shook her head as a smile formed, realizing what the crash had been. Sparks flew into the air as flames tortured the bark, slowly burning the tree.

     As Annie looked at each boy she noticed they all had wide grins on their faces, and Felix was sitting across camp on a log, staring into the bright flames. The girl walked over, but was stopped by Jakob on her way. Annie chuckled softly as the boy grabbed her hands, and made her dance with him.

     "I'll be back!" Annie yelled over the cheers of the other boys, but Jakob still heard her. He let go of her hands so she could walk away, and went back to dancing with the boys. Annie looked over her shoulder with a smile as she walked over to Felix, and sat down.

     "You look awful." The boy stated, not bothering to glance at Annie.

     "Where have you been?" Annie asked, getting straight to the point. She didn't really care what Felix did with his time, but she never expected him to abandon the boys in the way that he did.

     "Keeping your boyfriend alive. And, his brother." Felix replied, his tone dry. As if he was already bored of talking to the girl.

     Annie looked over at him, turning herself on the log so she could see him fully. "What are you talking about?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

     "Who do you think's been taking care of Grayson?"

     Annie was silent as she looked away from the boy. She then noticed that Peter was nowhere to be found, which only meant one thing.

     "Tell me where Peter and Grayson are. All three of you have a lot to explaining to do to me and the boys, and I want answers." Annie stated, growing angry that Felix seemed so casual about all of this. She and the Lost boys had all known Grayson to be dead for weeks now, and she was tired of waiting for answers. The first one being, why Grayson faked his own death.

     "Relax, they'll be here in a few minutes. Pan went to go get him." Felix told her, quickly glancing over with an annoyed expression on his scarred face.

     Annie straightened up, feeling like she had been slapped in the face. "What?" She asked, wanting to make sure she heard the boy correctly.

     "You heard me." He mumbled in response.