Chapter 3: Diego

New text from Jackson:
So Teagan what time should I come over?

I was laying in my bed when it vibrated. I was thinking about a lot. I was thinking about everything Zane said. I knew I shouldn't have been but was I really oblivious to what was happening or was Zane just reaching for something that wasn't there. I hadn't even noticed it vibrated.

My mother calling me down for dinner is what broke me from my thoughts. I picked up my phone seeing the text. I opened it trying to reply as I step out of my room and down the stairs.

To Jackson:
I'm eating dinner right now so maybe in thirty minutes or so?

I step off the last step and into the kitchen.  Everyone's eyes land on me. "What did I do?" Dad rolls his eyes and mom places her hand on his chest with a warm smile. "Nothing sweetie. Zane was just letting us know about your friend coming over for your English oral exam." I look wide eyed at Zane and he smiles which I assume can only mean he convinced them. "Now. Let's eat dinner." My phone vibrates and I look at it making my way to the table.

New text from Jackson:
Okay. Sounds good. I'll be there.

I lock my phone putting it away as we all sit down and eat. We don't talk about Jackson and I'm very thankful. When dinner is over I head up to my room. Once I'm safely inside there is a knock. "It's Zane." I sigh. "Come in." He does shutting the door behind him.

"I've convinced mom and dad but you don't seem at all happy." I sigh harsher this time moving to let him sit. "I've been wondering just how oblivious I am. What if you're right about this Zane?" He smiles. "Listen Tea, what's the worst that happens? That I'm wrong and you gain a friend? That's a good thing." I shake my head fiddling with my fingers. "I'm scared the worst that could happen is you could be right." He elbows me.

"Teagan that's not a bad thing. Look at mom and dad. They are happy and so in love. That could be you but the difference is you doubt yourself too much." I frown. "Come on Zane look at me. No one likes me. My best friend is my brother. How could I not doubt myself?"

He stands. "Tea when you were little you used to run and laugh and play. You would stand your ground and you even threw paint on a boy because he made fun of your favorite pair of boots. You weren't shy then. You weren't scared to take a chance. Do me a favor and just try and be her at least for tonight. If I'm wrong, I won't ask again?" I sigh. "Okay Zaney. For you." He rolls his eyes. "Don't call me that brat." My phone vibrates and he moves to read it over my shoulder.

New text from Jackson:
I'm outside. Should I knock?

I look at Zane before replying with a quick yes. I hear his heavy yet light knock and Zane shoves me out into the hallway. I head down the stairs where I'm shocked to see mom hasn't opened the door to welcome him in. I take a breath remembering Zane's words before opening the door.

"Hey come in." He steps in shutting the door. I lead him into the living room and he smiles sitting on the couch. "Um Teagan..." I hum sitting as well. "You live in the nicest house on the block in one of the most expensive neighborhoods." I blush. "Yeah I was hoping it wasn't that obvious. My father is rich." He smiles. "Oh well I hope that doesn't change much now that I know." I laugh some. "Why would it? Unless you plan on telling anyone." He shakes his head. "I don't mean to say this to be rude but if people knew how rich your family was I'm sure they'd be nicer to you."