Chapter 7: How To Tell Her I Might

"Teagan!" I smile as Raelynn climbs on the couch to hug me. I hug her back. "Hey Raelynn! How are you?" She giggles as I tickle her. "I'm good. Jackie says you're spending the night." I nod. "That's right I am." She hums. "Good. You know sometimes Jackie texts a girl name Cali. But I think they're just friend because he has face and hearts next to your name."

I tap her nose. "What kind of faces?" She makes a kissy face and I laugh. "And Cali's doesn't?" She shakes her head. "Sometimes when she texts he doesn't answer but Jackie always answers you." "Raelynn! What did we agree on?" She zips her lips and locks them. "Sorry Jackie." He kisses her cheek. "It's okay Rae Rae. How about you pick a game and we'll play?" She gasps. "Teagan can we play hide and seek?" I nod. "Sure." Jackson moves her to the floor so she doesn't have to climb down. "You know the rules." She nods. "Anywhere but outside and the attic." I nods. "Go ahead. Well count to fifty." She nods. I close my eyes starting to count only to feel his lips on mine.

"So Cali has your number?" He huffs. "Babe I promise she's a friend. I'll gladly let you look through the messages." I shake my head. "I trust you." I say kissing him lightly. "You're the best." He whispers pulling me closer. I shake my head. "Ready or not here we come!" We search and I find her in the hallway closet. I motion for her to be quiet and I squeeze into the closet with her. "Babe..." We jump out at him and he jumps harshly. I scoop Raelynn up and we share a laugh.

"I hate you." He whispers leaning into me. I shake my head. "No you don't. He kisses me. "That's the face!" I laugh and he tickles her. "Lock those lips Rae Rae." She giggles. "If you love her shouldn't you tell her everything." I look down and he sighs. "It's complicated Rae Rae." She frowns. "You just don't want to tell me." He huffs. "That's not true I just don't know how to tell you." She fold her arms. "Tell me what? That you don't love her?" He scuffs. "No I don't know how to tell her I think I might!" I look up at him in awe. "Jackie said something he shouldn't have."

I huff. "Raelynn let's go watch TV how's that sound?" She nods. "I'm sorry Jackie. Rae Rae made Jackie sad." He kisses her head. "It's okay Raelynn. Jackie loves you." She smiles and I take her downstairs to watch cartoons. I leave her and make my way back upstairs. "Jackson?" I say knock on the door I assume it's his bedroom. "Come in." He's sitting with his head in his hands. "I'm sorry Teagan. If you'd like to go home I'll bring Raelynn and we can drop you off." I shake my head sitting next to him. "No I'm spending the night with my boyfriend. But Jackson we need to talk."

He looks at me. "Teagan I don't know what to say. I've tried to swallow how I feel. You said slow. Saying 'I love you' a week into us being together isn't slow." I huff. "Jackson I don't want you to swallow how you feel. Listen to me if you feel a certain way say so. If I feel differently then we will sit down and talk." He swallows. "Okay. Teagan I like you very much. I'm somewhere between like and love. You don't have to be and I'm okay with that." I sigh. "Jackson I'm not sure how close to love I am but I'd feel bad if you constantly said I love you and I never said it back."

He shakes his head. "You don't have to say it. Not until your ready." I tilt his head up to my level since he was hunched over. "But maybe I am ready." He sighs. "Teagan don't say that if you don't mean it." I lean into him. "I do mean it. Maybe I am." He leans up kissing me and I now understand that feeling Zane described as I fall back into the bed with him. He pulls me into his side kissing me vigorously. "It's crazy to think someone like you could love someone like me." He hums softly. "And why's that?" I touch his lips. "You're you and I'm me." He rubs his nose against mine. "I wouldn't trade you for anything." I bite my lip. "Jackie!" Raelynn comes running in. "What's up cupcake?" She sways from side to side. "Can I have ice cream?"

He sits up. "Did mom say you could have some?" She nods. "Only one and not right before bed." He nods. "Then yes." I get up scooping her into my arms. "I'll help you okay." She nods clasping her arms around my neck. I take her down into the kitchen making her an ice cream cone. Jackson scoops her from the counter and licks her cone. She pulls it away giving him a mean look.