Chapter 5: The Question

"No!" He laughs harshly. "Yeah he told me you shouldn't wear those ugly boots here and so I threw paint at him." He hums with a smile. "Well at least I know I should never tell you that you look bad." I pick at his shirt as I cuddle closer into his side letting my smile fade a little. After we ate we came to the dock on the beach. Mom used to bring us here a lot. Said it reminded her of her parents.

"Well I-I'm not really that girl anymore. I'm not very quick to get defensive. I just keep moving." He watches me and I'm aware but I just watch the ocean that ripples below us. "Teagan I know that girls still inside you. Sometimes you just need a little more confidence to defend yourself and those people have stripped you clean of it."

I huff. "Don't they say confidence is beauty? If I have none why are you here?" He lifts my chin watching me. "Because Teagan you are the most beautiful person I've ever met. Inside and out." I scuff. "Okay." I say in a non believing way. He place his head on top of mine. "One day I hope to give you your confidence back."

I hum. "If you're around that long." He smiles trying to pull  me closer. "I'm here as long as you allow me to be." I smile into him. "Will you take me some place?" He pulls back. "Sure." We stand and he reaches into his pocket for the keys. I stop his hand. "No keys. We can walk. It's not too far." He stays quiet for a second and then nods.

*

"Tea what is this place?" I sigh. "I trust you Jackson and that's the knot reason I've brought you here." He takes my hand. "Where are we?" He says with a soft smile. "The family beach house." He shuts his eyes. "How much trouble are you going to get it for me being here?" I frown. "If they find out...a lot." He takes my hand tugging me out of the front door. "Jacks?!" He sighs. "Teagan I don't need to see allege nice luxurious things your family owns. Stop trying to impress me. I don't want you in trouble and I don't want to have to go a day without talking to you. If they knew I was here the least they would do is take your phone."

He cups my cheeks in his hand. "I liked you before you tried to buy me lunch and show me your beach house. These things are nice but they don't define you Teagan. Don't think by showing me these things I'm gonna somehow like you more." I sigh. "I thought maybe by showing you these things you'd stick around a little bit longer."

He firmly presses his lips to mine for a long time before pulling back. "Do you want me to stay?" I nod. "Then I'm here. Your family beach house or your dad's money isn't going to make me stick around. The only thing that can make me stay is you Tea." I smile. "Will you take me home then." He smiles back at me nodding.

He takes my tiny hand in his very large one as we walk back along the beach towards his car. "Jackson?" He hums. "What are people gonna say when we show up to school like this?" He shrugs. "I don't really care what they say. You keep your head high and know that I've got you." I sigh. "What about when we are apart? You know that they pick on me worse." He sighs. "Teagan I know it takes time but you'll just have to defend yourself if you can. I'm sorry." I shake my hand.

"You're right Jackson. I'm a big girl. I can depend on other people to fight my battles for me." He touches my cheek. "Hey there. I've been dying to meet you." I laugh. "Shut up."

*

Monday Morning

I sigh from the passenger seat of Zane's car. "Teagan are you really that nervous to be seen with him?" I sigh. "You know this changes everything. I really like him and I'm not trying to drive him away." He pulls into the school parking lot and my heart drops.

"Teagan you should be happy but instead your letting these people drive your life in misery." I take a breath. "You're right Zane." He pulls in next to Jackson's car and I get out. Jackson meets me embracing me in a hug. I wore a long-sleeved dark grey shirt that was very big, a pair of leggings and boots. It was a very rainy day and I must knew it was gonna storm.