Chapter 56

Spring 1988

    So would you do me the honor of being my date to the Oscar's next Saturday?  Corey asked Giselle. They were down in the theatre room watching Pretty in Pink. I have nothing to wear she said to him none of my dresses fit me I haven't been able to lose all this extra weight that I gained during the pregnancy. Well you look gorgeous no matter what and you know it he said.  I will buy you a dress but only if you agree to go with me he said to her. Well, how can I turn a new dress down? She said grabbing a handful of popcorn out of the bowl in front of her winking at him to let him know that she was joking. You know I would love to go with you it sounds like a blast she said. Ever since her miscarriage Corey had really improved as far as staying out all night he had only gone out a couple of times and he asked her both times if she wanted to go when she didn't  he told her he wouldn't be any later than midnight and had kept his word. She could tell that things were improving between them but was sad that it took the loss of their baby to wake him up.  Of course you do know that there will be a party afterwards and I would love it if we could go together to that as well he told her. Sounds like fun she said smiling at Corey and she really meant it.  She also knew that he was up for a couple different nominations and would never miss being there for him for the world.

    So what stores are we going to? Corey asked Giselle. Well I don't know you tell me Giselle said I have never shopped for formal dresses on Rodeo Dr.  Well neither have I he shot back with a little giggle and his half smile.  Touche' well I guess that we will just go into the stores that have mannequins in the windows with fancy dresses on them she said. Alright he responded sounds like plan he added grabbing her hand and lacing his fingers through hers.  Oh my that's it I want that Giselle said excitedly as they passed a store called Cache' and the mannequin in the window had on the most beautiful dress that she had ever seen. It was a mauve color and had long transparent lace sleeves and a body hugging bodice it was also a high low style very short in the front and it had a long flowing ruffley train. Let's go in Corey said as he opened the door for her.  As soon as they walked in a salesperson walked out to greet them. Welcome to Cache' she said my name is April. Is there something I can help you find today?  She asked them. What about that dress in the window? Corey asked her. That dress is gorgeous she said looking at Giselle up and down so I'd say you are about a 6 or 8?  Very good Giselle said I need to try both sizes please I'm a little in between sizes at this time she added. Sure thing the lady nodded and walked to the back of the store. You are in luck we have one left of each of those sizes she said and led Giselle to one of the dressing rooms. Let me know if you need me she said as she hung the dresses up on the rack in the room also I'm going to bring you some shoes and jewelry that would go perfectly with that dress. Thank you Giselle said as she clicked the dressing room door shut. Let me in Corey said playfully pounding on the door. You can wait Giselle said as she slid into the first dress in the size 6. Ok baby I need you now she yelled out the door to Corey. Oooo I like the sound of that he said teasingly. Don't get too excited I just need you to zip my dress please. No can do I only know how to unzip dresses he replied. Oh my god Corey just zip it and zip me up Giselle exclaimed starting to get slightly annoyed. Wow Core I am in love with this dress she said looking at herself from all angles in the mirror. You are beautiful my love Corey said looking at her admiringly. April showed up with some white strappy stilettos and a very beautiful pair of dangly diamond earrings with a mauve stone in the middle that matched the dress perfectly.  This is absolutely it she said as she slipped into the stilettos and put in the shiny earrings. You sure you don't want to look around hun? Corey asked.  This is only the first dress you've tried on. I know but I am just so in love she said as she ran her hand down the train of her dress and looked at herself admiringly. Ok, if your heart is set I won't argue I do have to admit you look absolutely beautiful he complimented her. Aww thank you baby she responded. Plus I am so happy we don't have to go to any more stores he added with a little wink. What's the damage? He asked turning to look at April.  I can ring you up at the register she said let me go get a garment bag for the dress and I can meet you folks up at the front of the store. April rang them up and Corey paid for everything. You ready? He asked Giselle grabbing all of the bags off of the counter.  I sure am she answered. Let's roll then he said pulling his black Ray Bans down from the top of his head.