Dripping Red - Azumane Asahi

This story is written by selvatic on DeviantArt

----------------------------------------------------

Soulmate!AU where soulmates have matching tattoos

He tried to fix his tie as best as possible from the back seat of the taxi. He wanted to urge the driver to drive faster, but the line of cars ahead of them discouraged him from saying anything. He was late already anyway. The ceremony should have started already.

He looked out of the window. He wondered if Noya and Daichi would be there. He cursed himself for not thinking of calling ahead. He hadn't seen any of his former co-players in ages; since before he had moved out of Japan. It had taken a wedding invitation to make him realise how much he missed all of them; there was no way he'd miss the opportunity to see them.

"Can't we go faster?"

There was no way he'd miss Koushi's wedding.

"You may kiss the bride."

The silver-haired man cupped gently the woman's cheek and pressed lightly his lips against hers. The crowd erupted in cheers.

Asahi could only see his friend from where he was standing. Koushi's face was as bright as the morning sun when he looked at the woman who had just accepted to become his partner for life. The brunet smiled; his gentle friend had finally found the person he'd spend the rest of his days with.

The newlyweds broke away and smiled at each other. Holding hands, they turned around to face the crowd. Asahi's breath was caught in his throat.

He had never seen her before, yet she seemed so familiar. The way that her eyes sparkled when she looked at Koushi, the smile she sent to her friends, the little hair ringlet that fell on her shoulder. He couldn't tear his gaze away; she took his breath away.

Embarrassed, he made a conscious effort to look away. He searched for Daichi in the crowd. Still, his eyes kept being drawn back to her. I can't fall for my friend's soulmate! His heart raced and his whole being blazed with desire.

A feeling of suffocation threatened to overtake him. Pain spread in his chest. He couldn't do it; he couldn't risk ruining his friend's most memorable day. He ran away.

"I had no idea that Suga had found his soulmate before I got the wedding invitation." Even though he struggled to keep his curiosity in check, he wanted to know.

"Oh, you don't know..." A bittersweet smile spread on Daichi's face.

"Know what?"

"They are not soulmates." Asahi's heart skipped a beat. "They have been together long enough though, and they love each other very much."

"They are not... soulmates...?" the brunet couldn't come to terms with the newly acquired information.

"Apparently she thought that Suga was her ideal of a partner, despite not being her soulmate", Daichi recounted Koushi's love story. "She was afraid to find her destined other half because of her tattoo."

"Her tattoo?"

"Yeah, she believed that meeting her soulmate would end up in tears or worse, as her tattoo is a broken glass heart dripping blood. A premonition that would foretell tragedy."

Asahi's hand flew to his chest, nails digging into his flesh. He expected to see crimson dying his fingers, the same crimson that dripped down the shatters of the glass heart itched on his skin.

"And Suga? Why did Suga give up on finding his soulmate?" he asked frantically. "Is his tattoo also a bad omen?"

"Ah, Suga..." Daichi's gaze fixed on Asahi's face. "He doesn't have one."