Chapter 19: We're Getting His Memory Back

~1 month later~

*Becca's POV*

It's been a month since Riker woke up, and he still doesn't remember me.

I visited him everyday for the remainder of the time he was in the hospital, and when he was allowed to go home, I went to see him as much as I could.

He now only knows me as his new-found best friend, who he happened to cross paths with at the hospital.

It's really heartbreaking.

Today, Amber and I were driving to the Lynches' house since we'd finished work for the day.

We pulled up outside and knocked sharply on the door. Rocky answered and his face lit up when he saw us. His smile widened more when his eyes met Amber's.

"Hey guys!" He exclaimed, giving me a hug as we walked in. I looked back to see Rocky and Amber hugging tightly, before Rocky pulled away, lifted her chin and kissed her softly.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this, didn't I?!

Rocky and Amber are going out now! They're SO cute!

It kind of makes me sad though, because me and Riker used to be like that, and now that's all flushed away.

I walked into the Lynches' living room to be greeted by the rest of the family. I exchanged the message happily before sitting next to Rydel and giving her a hug.

"Hey!" She laughed as she embraced me warmly.

"Hi!" I replied, beaming as we pulled away. "How's Riker today?"

Rydel sighed heavily and furrowed her eyebrows. "Well, earlier, he kept asking about Dianna, and we all decided to tell him that he had broken up with Dianna a while ago, but of course he can't remember. And he's been in his room ever since!"

"Oh god." I groaned, putting my head in my hands. Trying to get Riker's memory back was proving to be very difficult indeed.

Rydel rubbed my back lightly. "Go on up and see him. He'll probably talk to you."

I nodded at her a little before running up the stairs and across the upstairs hallway before reaching Riker's room. I knocked softly a few times.

"Go away, Rydel." Riker whined.

"Riker, it's me." I called through the door. I heard the ruffling of blankets and the padding of feet, and soon enough, Riker's door creaked open slowly and he emerged.

"Hey, Bec." His voice was thick as if he was about to cry.

I walked into his room with him and shut the door behind him. I looked up at him and saw that he had tear-stains all down his cheeks, and his eyes were puffy.

"Have you been crying?" I asked him sadly, trying not to choke on my own words and cry again. I've cried such a lot lately.

"N-no. Why would you ask that? Ok...maybe a little. Ok, a lot." Riker said in a rush, and a little smile appeared on my face as I held my arms out.

"Come here."

Riker wrapped his arms around my waist, my arms around his neck, and he buried his face in the crook of my neck.

I felt tears falling on my neck and small sobs could be heard coming from Riker.

I held him tighter, whispering to him and trying my best to comfort him.

"Shhh, it's ok, Rik. I'm here now." I whispered in his ear.

"Why did I have to lose my memory? Why can't I just have a normal frickin' life?!" Riker shouted tearfully into my neck.