The Battles Begin

Nobody's POV.

After Luke and Vader had arrived on the Second Death Star they walked to an elevator. Vader and Luke rode an elevator up to the top floor. Vader couldn't help, but think about the conversation he had had with his son on Endor. Luke's words had haunted him. "Then my father is truly dead."

Vader had seen how much Luke had hoped to turn him back, but it was too late for Vader. He could not be what he had been. After all the terrible things he had done and thought. . .he would never be able to be full of light and peace like he had once been, all those years ago. He needed the power and strength. It was all he had. And only the dark side offered that.

It hurt him to have to disappoint his son that way, but it was true. Luke would one day understand. He soon he would join Vader and they would kill the Emperor. Vader knew that only he could not do it, but with Luke. They would be unstoppable.

The elevators doors opened into a large throne room. A chair sat at the top of some stairs. It was faced toward a large widow that looked out on the galaxy. Luke only saw the back of the black chair, but he could feel a presence of who was in the room. It was dark, evil, menacing and cold.

Luke and Vader walked up the stairs and stood before the throne. Luke was not afraid. He knew what his destiny was and had come to peace with it. The chair turned slowly to face Vader and Luke. Fear shot through Luke when he saw the man's face. His father's master, the Emperor, had a terribly, sickeningly, scarred face. A hood covered his head and his eyes were yellow. Luke calmed himself and quickly felt peace come over him.

Vader bowed to the Emperor, while Luke glared at the man, knowing he would not succeed. "Welcome, young Skywalker. I have been expecting you." His voice was raspy and chilling. Luke stared at him defiantly.

The Emperor looked down at Luke's binders. "You no longer need those." He spoke. With a small flick of his wrist the binders fell to the floor. Luke looked down at his hands. He was free. He could attack and kill the Emperor now if he wanted, but he did nothing. The Sith looked up at two guards standing in front of the elevator, cloaked in red. "Guards, leave us." The guards left.

The hooded Sith looked at Luke with an evil smile. "I'm looking forward to completing your training. In time you will call me Master." Luke stared at the Emperor in defiance and with a knowing look. "You're gravely mistaken. You won't convert me as you did my father." Vader turned to his son surprised at how calm and cool he was.

The Emperor got down from his throne and walked to the young man. Luke could now see his face clearly now. It was sickening. The Emperor smiled smugly at Luke. "Oh, no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken...about a great many things."

The Emperor looked over to Darth Vader. "His lightsaber." Obeying his master, Vader extended his hand handing him his son's newly made lightsaber. The Emperor took it and looked at it. "Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's. . .By now you must know your father can never be turned from the dark side. So will it be with you." The Emperor smiled menacingly.

Luke looked at the Emperor with a hint of a smile, knowing what was going to happen. He couldn't help, but feel a sense of pride. He wanted to boast and carry on, but instead he spoke calmly and cooly. "You're wrong. Soon I'll be dead. . .and you with me." Vader turned to look at his son, once again. Luke spoke with such authority, strength and courage. It surprised Vader.

The Emperor laughed evilly at the young jedi. "Perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of your Rebel fleet." Luke looked sharply at the Sith. How could he have known?! Vader could feel his son's panic. "Yes...I assure you we are quite safe from your friends here." The Emperor turned and walked back to his chair. Vader sensed that Luke's panic had been extinguished for the time. Instead a sense of calm was radiating from him.