eighteen

—

"no, way. you called dad! you've got too be kidding me!" belle yelled as she ignored her father and turned to aiden.

"well hello to you too." james said as he closed his hands that were held out for a hug.

"i'm not leaving with you guys," belle said and turned towards her bike. she stopped, the bike was gone. "all i want is air! i want to be left alone! how hard is that for you guys to understand?" belle yelled.

aiden just stood rocking on his heels as their father begin speaking, "belle don't make us have to do this again please just get in the car."

"no!" belle yelled and begin walking in the other direction. james sighed before turning to aiden, "go get her."

+++

belle's jaw was clenched as she sat in the back of the car. her arms clutching her backpack. she was upset that she couldn't even go somewhere in peace without people automatically finding her. also the fact that the bike she had stolen was stolen from her didn't help.

aiden continued to lecture her as james raised his eyebrows a few times but mainly kept his eyes on the road.

belle hadn't said one word the whole car ride until aiden brought up the subject she had been dreading. "i heard why isaac fought chris. is it true?" he asked finally looking at belle.

belle just looked out the window, her heart beating faster then before. "um, it depends. what did you hear?" she asked still looking out the window.

"you had a thing with chris, eva and chris hooked up, you found out, you were sad, then isaac got mad that you were sad, and everything went to shit after that." aiden said.

"sounds about right," belle said shaking her head as a bitter laugh left her lips. after that she finally made eye contact with him.

"belle, i know it isn't much but i just want to tell you that people are going to leave you and people are going to hate you. but just know that i will always be here for you. whether you like it or not you're my bestfriend." aiden said sending belle a smile.

belle smiled at aiden and laughed a little bit. that was the only time she had properly smiled in days. james looked at his two kids and smiled himself, he quickly patted aiden on the shoulder before going back to driving.

+++

the car pulled into the driveway, the three people soon getting out of the car. "everyone's worried about you. they've been texting me asking if you're okay. i just told them we found you and you're fine." aiden said as he unlocked the front door.

"okay. thanks," belle said following him into the house. "how long are you staying?" aiden asked james. "i leave tomorrow night, will you guys be able to control yourselves?" james asked looking between his two kids. they both just slowly nodded.

james just scoffed and complained about how they were both horrible liars then begin to order food.

"hey, aiden. thank you for putting up with me. really, thank you. i'm sorry if i gave you a heart attack. i just need to be able to be alone sometimes." belle said as aiden nodded, "i understand."

everyone sat around the dining room table, eating pizza. belle had to bring her desk chair from her bedroom to the table because aiden and her were so used to it only being the two of them eating.

belle didn't really know what to say to her father as she picked pineapple off her pizza. "so," aiden said breaking the silence. "how are you dad?" aiden asked, turning his attention towards his father.

"i'm good. i've met this nice girl named hayley. we're not very serious yet but i like her a lot." james said.

"that's good," aiden replied. meanwhile, belle scoffed. james looked at the girl and just laughed. aiden was already starting to get uncomfortable.

"just because i left your mother doesn't mean i stopped loving you guys." james said as he looked at his kids.

"sure," belle replied before standing up and throwing away her pizza crusts. she then placed her dishes in the sink as her father spoke up, "it's true."

"you know, people don't typically abandon the people they love and leave them with someone who ends up dead. unless that's what you mean by love." belle said as she washed her dishes.

her dad rolled his eyes, "you always were the hardest one to talk to."

belle laughed before speaking, "sorry but i'm not aiden. i'm not going to jump up and down when you waltz through that door again. aiden may be happy for you but i'm not."

"harsh much?" aiden replied causing her to roll her eyes at him.

belle then left to her room, taking her desk chair with her. most people would have assumed that she was just being selfish but her father had caused a lot of problems in her life that she wasn't ready to forgive him for.

belle listened to the quiet crackling sound coming from the record player then a song she enjoyed started to play.

she sat on a chair, staring out her window as she drank her beer she had hidden under her bed, hoping tomorrow night would come faster.