Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I don't know if my parents have asked/told Caleb to keep an eye on me, but every night he's at my parent's house and he appears every morning too. Most mornings I've already been out for a jog and swim before he even wakes up. Maybe he turns up just for the breakfast and supper I cook.

My parents have been gone a week, and so far I have managed to ignore or avoid Nate. Every time he appears in a room, I walk out. I've been avoiding Mike and Josh less, but I'm still wary of being in their company. Personally, I think those two are trying to see who can get into my pants first. Well, that ain't gonna happen for either of them.

Caleb and I are sitting in the den, when I hear the screen door slam. Nate appears a minute later.

Before I can leave the room, he says, "Daisy had the baby. A little girl. Dan just called."

I'm already half way out of the room, but I'm not expecting his words or the guilt to hit me. I literally feel like I've been punched in the stomach. I look away, because I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. I've never felt guilty about what happened. There's a nagging voice in the back of my head that chooses this precise moment to start speaking. It tells me that it's my fault I had a miscarriage. That it happened because of all the alcohol, drugs and whatever else I put my body through at that time. That I'm so useless I can't even complete a basic, primal task of carrying a baby.

I don't realize I've zoned out, until Caleb's face is in front of mine, calling my name.

"Lex! Snap out of it!"

I shake my head, "Sorry. What?"

"Mom's on the phone. She wants to speak to you."

"Oh. Yeah."

I grab the phone and take a deep breath before speaking, "Mom?"

"Hey honey. Caleb just told me about Daisy. We'll be away for a few more days, but I'd like you to get the quilt I made and take it to them. It's in the dresser in my bedroom."

"Surely they won't be up for visitors so soon. Can't it wait 'til you get back?"

"They'll want a blanket to bring the baby home in. I'd like it to be the blanket I made. Can you do that for me please?"

She has the tone that suggests I don't argue with her. I let out a deep sigh and just agree. It'll be easier than putting up a fight. She'll have something to say about it when she gets back if I argue.

I hear the smile in her voice, "Thank you. I'm sure you'll fall in love with the baby as soon as you see her."

I very much doubt that. I don't know why this is bothering me so much. I didn't even give it a second thought when I was in New York, so why can't I escape these feelings now?

"Your dad said to tell you that he's bought three young horses for you to train. He seems quite excited about it."

Now, horses I can be happy about and I tell her I'm looking forward to it. Before I hang up, she says, "Don't even think about getting Caleb to take the blanket. It's a family tradition that a woman hands it over. It's very important to me, so please do this properly."

"Yes ma'am."

I hand Caleb his cell back and go to leave the room again. If I'd have just escaped sooner, then I wouldn't have been caught in this situation. Once again, Nate has managed to mess things up without even trying. That, right there, is a special skill he has.

Caleb asks, "Where are you goin'? I thought we were watchin' a movie."

I shrug, "I'm not in the mood now. I'm gonna head out to the lake."