Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Lexi's P.O.V.

Neither Chris or I say anything on the way back to the motel. I don't know what he's thinking, but I'm silently stewing in anger. I'm fuming at Austin for causing the horse to spook and potentially ruining everything I've accomplished. I'm frustrated that I'm injured and I'm a little angry at Chris for talking to my dad, Caleb and Nate the way he did. I don't want them to know anything I'm thinking or feeling. I don't want them to know I'm leaving and I don't want them to try and change my mind. Although, they'll probably be quite happy once I'm gone. Things can go back to how they were before I returned; peaceful and normal.

Chris puts my truck in park before he says anything.

"I know you don't want to, but I think you should get checked by a doctor at least."

"I've fallen off horses before, Chris. I'll be fine. Nothin' that meds and liquor can't fix."

"No more alcohol, Lex. I'm serious. You had way too much of that last night. Maybe you're still drunk, I don't know."

"I'm not drunk. I sweated it all out when I was workin' the horses."

"I'm not sure it quite works like that. I'm just worried about you, that's all."

I snap, "Well, you're not my father so stop actin' like one. If I wanna drink myself to death then that's my lookout."

I see the shock register on his face at my words and then I feel bad.

I sigh, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. I just don't need any more parental figures in my life and I certainly don't need any more disapproval right now. I'm not gonna get drunk. I'm in pain and just want somethin' to take the edge off, that's all."

He nods, "I leave in the morning, Lex. What are you going to do when I'm not here?"

I attempt to shrug but then groan as the pain shoots through my upper body. I settle for words instead.

"I don't know. Stay holed up in the motel and work my horses when I know no one will be around. Surely I can't cause any trouble for my folks if I'm sittin' in a motel room on my own, can I?"

He frowns, "That's not healthy, hun."

"It's just for a little while. I'll be fine, Chris. Honest. I survived for years here and I've survived the last few months without you. It'll be fine."

He lets out a sad chuckle, "You sound like you're trying to convince yourself more than me."

"Maybe, maybe not. Heck, I got through some pretty rough times here as a teenager. If I can do that, then I can get through a few more weeks or months. I got this."

"You planning on finishing the rest of the year then?"

No, I don't, but I won't tell him that. I don't need him revealing any more of my plans to my dad or Caleb.

Instead of outright lying, I settle for, "I'll stay for as long as I can take it. I'll go as a last resort."

"I know how stubborn you can be, so that's either potentially very good or really bad."

I wink at him, "I can be either. Whatever floats your boat... maybe not just now though. I might need a little time to recover first..."

He lets out a small chuckle, "You need to stop doing that. That's definitely going to make Nate very jealous..."

"Psh, like I'm concerned 'bout that. There's nothin' goin' on there."

Besides, he's joined the hater's club. Maybe he never even left it. Maybe he's been feeding my momma information, which is why she's convinced I'm lying and why she believes all the rumors that are going round about me. Maybe that's why she's so right about everything.