Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Lexi's P.O.V.

When we pull into Caleb's drive, I stay in the truck while Nate helps the guys out. I'm shocked at how drunk they are. I guess there's something to be said about my time in New York. It prepared me for this. I can put them all to shame with how little they can hold their liquor. I'm not sure that's necessarily something I should be proud of, but I'll take it, as it's probably a whole lot better than whatever else I learned in New York.

I start to doze off when I hear the truck door open again. The lack of sleep is catching up with me. The alcohol helps me. It relaxes my body enough to let it sleep. I shut my eyes again. I'll just rest until we're at the lake. I want to feel the breeze against my skin. Being at the lake always helps me to relax. I know Nate won't let me go in the water. I tried that before and he made it very clear I'm not allowed to swim while I'm drunk. It's probably for the best though.

Nate is completely silent. Why can't it be like this more often? Why can't we just exist in the same place without the hate and awkwardness? That would probably be because he actually does hate me. I know I pretend I do, but I don't really hate him. I feel hurt more than anything. If he hated me that much, why didn't he just tell me to go away and leave them alone? Why did he pretend everything was ok for all those years, just to hurt me far worse later on?

I must fall asleep, because I'm startled when Nate's door opens. He opens mine soon after and whispers, "We're here. Do you want me to leave you in the truck?"

I shake my head.

"I can walk. I'm not that drunk."

"You sure about that? You're as drunk as Cooter Brown, darlin'."

I make a point of getting out of the truck all by myself and walking to the edge of the lake. As if to justify myself I say, "I'm tired, not that drunk."

"Because you're not sleeping..."

A truth slips out before I can stop it, "The alcohol helps."

I plop down on the grassy bank. I've been here so often it pretty much has a perfect dent in it for my butt. Nate sits next to me, but not so close that he's touching me. We're silent for a long time, but I can feel his stare on me. I can't find it in me to care or tell him to go away. I like this quiet and I don't want to break it.

Eventually I whisper, "I don't know how to sleep through the night."

"Because you worked nights? At a bar?"

I nod.

"You're not being quite truthful with me, Lex. I know something happened tonight. Why did that guy call you Annie? Did he hurt you?"

I scoff at that. If only he knew.

"What happened? You didn't go to the bathroom, did you? Did you have sex with that guy?"

"No!"

"Then what happened? You were different after he approached you. Help me to understand. Did he touch you?"

I find myself automatically stating one of the rules, "Touchin' isn't allowed."

"Lex, you're not making any sense here. What did that guy do to you?"

"He wanted me to give him a private dance."

"A what? Private dance?"

I nearly shout, "I was a stripper! Ok?!"

Both of our eyes widen in shock. Mine, because I can't believe I just said that out loud to him of all people. And his, because he probably can't believe what he just heard.