Chapter Thirty-Seven

Lexi's P.O.V.

I don't actually know how I feel as I see Nate leaving my room. I know I don't want the rest of the guys here; especially Dan. That is definitely going to make things worse. Obviously, I don't tell them that. I just sit in silence, probably with a scowl on my face.

Mike chuckles, "Don't look so happy to see us, Lex. We might get offended if you crack a smile."

"All y'all invited yourselves here. Why should I pretend to be happy 'bout that?"

Josh pipes up, "Er, coz it's polite?"

"Right. Me? Polite? Obviously, all y'all don't know me very well."

My cell buzzes with a text, so I glance down at it.

Nate: Text me when the coast is clear and I'll come back with food.

Me: You don't need to do that. I just wanna get rid of these guys.

Nate: We ain't arguin' 'bout this. I'll be back when they've gone. Just let me know when it's safe.

Me: Why are they even here?

Nate: They just wanna be your friends.

Me: Well, that's gonna be awkward coz I don't like them. You know it's only gonna make things worse, right?

Nate: We'll deal with that if or when it happens. Just try to be nice... please?

Me: Haha, that's not likely.

I place my cell on the bed beside me and look up to see all the guys staring at me.

Dan is the first to speak, "You got a new boyfriend? That's the first time you've smiled since we got here."

I frown and mentally scold myself when I realize I was smiling at Nate's text.

"Mind your business."

They all chuckle at my response and Mike says, "Dude, don't be embarrassed. You're with friends here..."

Trust me, not much can embarrass me now, but they don't need to know that.

"All y'all ain't my friends. Don't pretend we like each other. Did Caleb send all y'all here?"

Dan replies, "He mentioned you were in here, but he didn't ask us to visit."

I can't stop my mouth from opening. I think the drugs are doing something to my brain or whatever.

I hiss, "Well, that was a mistake. I bet your wife is thrilled you're here, huh?"

Dan frowns, "Daisy don't know we're here..."

I try to laugh at his stupidity and blindness, but the pain and restriction in my lung stop that from happening.

I mutter, "You're an idiot if you believe that."

Before any of the guys can say anything else, the nurse appears in my room.

"Sorry to interrupt, y'all. I just have to add some more medication to the IV."

As the nurse is doing that, I send Chris a text telling him I have my cell and asking him to call whenever he's got time.

There's an awkward silence after the nurse has left the room. I don't want to talk to the guys and I'm pretty sure they don't know what to say to me.

Eventually, Mike breaks the quiet, "How are your horses doin', Lex?"

"Fine."

Josh asks, "When will you be able to ride again?"