Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two

Nate's P.O.V.

I take Lola out on fence check. I can see Lexi driving the New Holland in the distance, so I know she's doing ok. I don't think she's supposed to be driving, but I know she feels helpless at the moment. I don't want to take this job away from her. I can just keep an eye on her to make sure she's ok.

When I get back to the barn, I wash Lola down and then put her out to pasture. James is on his own in one of the corrals fixing a water trough, so I head over to see if he needs help.

"You need me to do anythin', James?"

"Grab that wrench for me, please? I don't wanna let go of this pipe."

I get the wrench and help James fix the leaking pipe.

He glances at me and asks, "Lex plannin' on stayin' at your folks' for a while then?"

"I don't know."

"She took all her things from the motel though..."

"Yeah, 'bout that. Mrs. W. threw her out pretty much."

"What?!"

"Yeah. I don't think Lex wants to stay at my parents' house for long, but she's got nowhere else to go now. My momma said she can stay as long as she wants to. I think she actually likes havin' someone else to take care of. But I think Lex feels like she's imposin'. That's the impression I get; she hasn't said that though."

He sighs, "She'll end up leavin' if we don't fix somethin'. I wouldn't blame her for wantin' to go with the way things are at the moment. I don't know how to fix that, but I can fix somewhere for her to stay."

I frown, "What do you have in mind?"

"You remember I said I should just build her a hut out by the lake? Maybe I should just go 'head and do it."

"I like that idea. I'll help."

"You think she'd like that?"

"I know the lake has always been her favorite place. I think she'd be pretty pleased."

I don't tell James that Lex has no intention of staying. How can I tell him that his daughter has already started making plans? How can I destroy him like that? Maybe, if Lex has somewhere of her own to live and Caleb starts treating her a bit better, then she'll have something to stay for.

We continue with our jobs and Lex still hasn't appeared when James lets us go for lunch. I head out in my truck to see where she is. I find her in one of the back fields, still driving around. I send her a text, asking if she's doing ok.

The reply I get is: Fine. Don't distract me while I'm drivin'. The lines won't be straight.

Me: I forgot how anal you were 'bout that. Sorry. Let me know if you need anythin'.

Lex doesn't return until it's almost dark. I can see she's in a lot of pain when she struggles to get out of the cab. James is the only one out in the barn now, so we both go to help her.

She grinds out, "I'm ok, I'm ok."

James is the one to playfully scold her, "So freakin' stubborn. Just let us help you!"

"I can do it, dad. I just gotta go a bit slower, that's all."

I can see the concern on James' face at his daughter's movements.

"Little Bit, you need to soak in a hot tub or somethin'. Put some liniment on."

"It's fine, dad. There are worse injuries than bruised ribs."