Chapter Fifty-One

Chapter Fifty-One

Lexi's P.O.V.

After finishing all the chores in the barn on Wednesday evening, Caleb and Nate appear at my cabin door. I feel the frown of confusion written on my face, so I know they can see it.

"What are y'all doin' here?"

I was just about to get in the shower to wash all the dust and filth off me.

Caleb grins, "We're gonna build your furniture. I was talkin' to Nate 'bout it earlier. If you're not allowed to lift, then you sure ain't gonna be allowed to build everythin'. 'Sides, I ain't seen inside the cabin yet."

I open the door further to allow the pair access into my house.

Caleb whistles, "This is nice. That fire is gonna be awesome once winter hits."

"Yeah..."

I'm hoping to be out of here before the bad weather hits, but I don't mention this for obvious reason.

"Y'all had supper?"

"Nope. I could eat though."

I laugh, "Bro, you can always eat. You sure you ain't got worms?"

Both Caleb and Nate chuckle, and Caleb shrugs, "Probably. Maybe I'll take some of the paste when we dose the horses next..."

"I'm surprized you haven't eaten that already. Is grilled cheese ok for y'all?"

Nate looks directly at me for the first time since they appeared on my porch.

"You want me to help whip up somethin' better than grilled cheese?"

I sheepishly respond, "I ain't got much in the way of groceries. Somethin' I forgot to do..."

Caleb chuckles, "How can you forget to buy food? Do you not eat?"

I shrug, "Not really. It isn't really my first thought to be honest..."

I like food, don't get me wrong. And I can eat loads, but it's not something that I really think too much about. If food is put in front of me or someone else is making it, then I'll eat. Like I said, I'm not great at cooking, so I snack if I'm hungry.

Caleb looks horrified, "Wow! Are you even my sister?!"

"Gee, thanks brother. If you must know, I can't really cook so I usually have a snack if I'm hungry."

"I can't even believe what you're sayin' right now. You been eatin' right since you stopped havin' supper with us?"

I pause on my walk to the kitchen. I didn't just stop going to supper; I wasn't wanted. There's a massive difference and I let my brother know exactly that.

Nate steps in, "Let's not have a war, y'all. Things are gettin' to normal, please don't ruin that. Lex, grilled cheese is fine. Caleb, let's make a start, huh?"

I nod and carry on with my task. As the guys are taking things out of their boxes, Caleb calls my name.

"You should get Nate to teach you how to cook. He's really good at it..."

I smirk, "Oh, is he...?"

My brother obviously doesn't get my humor or the fact that I was eluding to an innuendo.

"Yeah, he is. If we don't eat in the big house, then he cooks."

I catch Nate's eye as I glance their way. He has a smirk of his own covering his features. He's totally in on the joke.