Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

Lexi's P.O.V.

Over the next few weeks, I start to do more chores in the barn. I'm healing much better now and I've actually been able to ride Dusty a little too. Nate has been helping me quite a lot and we've been getting on pretty ok. I might even consider us on the road to being friends. We're not there yet, but we definitely aren't anywhere near how we used to be. When I returned, I never thought it was possible to even hold a conversation with Nate. I also never thought my mom and Caleb would hate me instead of Nate.

Caleb hasn't been avoiding me like he was before, but he hasn't spoken to me since our argument in the hospital. Maybe I should make an effort to talk to him, but I don't think I've done anything wrong. He's the one with the problem, so maybe he should get over himself and come to me. I don't even expect an apology; a simple acknowledgement that I exist would be nice.

Nate has been spending a lot of nights at his parents' house since I left the hospital. One of the conditions of me staying at the Delaney's was that he wouldn't be around much. While him being there bothers me much less than it did at the beginning, I don't understand it. He seems to head into Franklin most nights so I don't think he's staying with his folks simply because he takes me to the ranch most mornings. I want to ask if he's going to college, but I don't feel like we're close enough for that. I'm not completely comfortable in whatever shreds of friendship we might have. Nate and my dad are the only people in this town who actually talk to me like I'm a person and not some sort of criminal or outcast. I don't want to do anything to ruin the semi quiet I have with Nate. I never thought I'd actually think or speak those words. My life seems to be the wrong way round at the moment.

My whole attitude to Nate seems to be changing. I'm not saying I trust him completely, but he's helped me so much in the last few weeks. He's the only one who noticed I was upset when I got back. He saw how much my mom's words affected me. It doesn't seem like he's told anyone about my life in New York. I'm sure I would have heard about it if he had. I think my dad would disown me and Caleb would definitely have something to say to me if he knew. I believe Nate won't tell anyone now. I didn't believe him at first, but I'm starting to see he isn't like he was before I left. I don't know why he's different now. Was he being truthful when he told me he had feelings for me? No, that's not something I want to think about right now. Especially while we still have to travel in his truck together.

I should get to start driving next week, so I'll have much more freedom. I might even head out to the lake. I haven't been there in the last few weeks because Nate would have to bring me and I don't want to keep putting it on him. He's doing enough already without me imposing anymore. If I'm honest, I would have to admit that I've missed our late night lake meetings. I'm not going to lie and say I don't miss the alcohol and the dancing too.

I've been really good and stayed away from alcohol since I was taken into hospital. I'm pretty much off the prescription medication so I think a visit to Gruff's is in order soon. I can't wait to feel the effects of the amber liquid I enjoy so much.

I'm still not able to run around or exert myself too much because the lung is still healing. My fitness has dropped so I'm having to build up again gradually. Nate has been working my horses in the round pen because I can't run around the pen with them.

I'm attempting to ride the mares today. I'm not quite ready to get on the geldings just yet because they require a more intensive session. Nate holds Cherokee as I step up to her side.

I pause before reaching for her reins.

Nate is standing in front of the horse so he notices my hesitation. He softly questions, "You good?"