Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Forty-Eight

Nate's P.O.V.

Harper and I have barely sat down, when Caleb hands us a couple beers.

He waves his hands at us, "Drink up. Y'all need to catch up."

He has no idea that Lex pretty much said the same words to me a few months ago at the lake. Instead of beer, it was a couple bottles of Jack and she'd consumed a lot more than Caleb has currently.

I hand Harper a bottle and take one for myself. As we make a start on catching up, we all talk.

Caleb says, "We should make the most of these warm days coz we probably won't have many more. Why don't we hang out at the lake Friday night? We could bring some drinks and have a little end of summer party."

Harper agrees, "I think that's a great idea."

I'm not so sure about that, but it seems like I'm outnumbered so I keep my mouth shut. It looks like everyone else is in agreement.

Daisy pipes up, "I'll have to ask Elizabeth if she'll watch Lily. I'm sure she won't mind, but I'll check just to be sure."

Caleb chuckles, "I bet you won't even get to finish the sentence before my momma jumps on it."

Daisy smiles, "I won't bet against you on that. She does love our little girl..."

I tune out Daisy's voice as I think, 'Probably more than she loves her own daughter right now.'

I snap out of my thoughts when I hear someone call my name. I turn to face where the sound came from.

Dan speaks, "Nate? You gonna join us at the lake?"

"Not sure. Gotta see if my folks need me for anythin' first."

Harper almost whines, "Come on, Nathaniel, it'll be great. We may not get another chance if the weather changes. You gotta enjoy yourself a little bit too..."

All the guys chuckle, "Yeah, Nathaniel..."

They always make fun when Harper uses my full name. No one really calls me by my full name, but I can't bring myself to tell Harper that.

"I'll probably be there."

Harper bumps my shoulder with her's and whispers in my ear, "Maybe we can go swimmin' together..."

I smile, "That sounds like a good idea."

"Thought that might convince you."

We continue catching up and when the beers finish, I stand, "I'll get this one."

As I head to the bar, I notice a group of guys crowding at the end of the bar. That's unusual, but I don't think too much about it until I get to the bar. I notice Lexi sitting at the bar, surrounded by the guys. I didn't even know she was here.

"Hey Gruff, can I get ten Buds please?"

I hear Lex call out, "JD? You got more tequila?"

Gruff chuckles, "Of course. I forgot how quickly you drink my stock though."

He slides her a bottle of tequila before lining up the beers on the bar.

I question, "JD?"

He smiles, "That's Lex's new name for me. I like it."

"After her favorite drink?"

"No, well not initially. After my actual name."

"You mean Gruff ain't your name?"