Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

Nate's P.O.V.

Lex is pretty quiet through the rest of supper. She looks deep in thought and I want to drag her out of her own headspace, but I can't really do that with my parents at the table. When we've finished eating, Lex speaks up.

"Thank you for supper. I'll clean up, Mrs. Delaney."

"Nonsense. You'll go and rest. Please call me Jennifer."

Lex's cheeks sprinkle with color as she apologizes.

My mom and dad chuckle. It's my dad that offers an explanation.

"I think your momma has instilled too many manners in you, Alexis. Sometimes it's ok to break out of the box a little."

Lexi stares at my parents for a few seconds with a sad smile on her face.

Eventually, she speaks, "Y'all are pretty cool for parents. Especially in this town."

My dad laughs, "I don't think Nate would consider us cool, but I appreciate the compliment. Nate? Why don't you and Alexis go watch a movie while your mom and I clear up."

"Y'all sure y'all don't need me to help?"

My mom shakes her head, "You go keep Alexis company. I'm sure she'd much rather your company than our's."

I nod, but inside I'm not so certain about that. While things have been a little better between Lexi and I, I don't think we're quite on that level. Obviously, I don't tell my mom that. Instead, I glance at Lex and say, "You can choose the movie if you want."

She smirks, "I ain't watchin' any of those chick flicks that you love..."

"It was one movie! And I was like ten!"

Lex has the cutest grin on her face right now, and I find myself just staring at her.

"Still a chick flick."

As we slowly walk to the den, I chuckle, "How do you even remember that?"

"How could I not? Caleb yanked your chain for like three months..."

"More like six. He still likes to remind me every so often. I also like to remind him of the time he got arrested..."

She gasps, but then lets out a pain filled sound.

"You ok?"

"Fine. Caleb gettin' arrested is far more important. Caleb actually got arrested? Like for real?"

"Yeah. I'm surprized he didn't tell you."

"Trust me, I'd have remembered that story. Continue."

I smirk, "Are we watchin' a movie or havin' story time?"

"Don't be a douche. You can't stop there. We can watch the movie after."

"Fine. We were drunk and we'd just played the Tigers. One of their line backers had thrown a few punches at Caleb, so he was ragin'. He decided it was a good idea to visit their school grounds and take a leak on their high school mascot..."

She interrupts, "Please tell me he didn't get arrested with his junk out..."

I let out a bark of a laugh, "No, thankfully. We got caught as we were leavin' the school grounds. We got taken to the station to sober up and were let off with a warnin'."

I see her struggle to hold back a laugh. She doesn't quite achieve it, but as soon as she lets out a giggle, she hisses in pain.

As she breathes through the pain, she grinds out, "I told you not to make me laugh..."